Firmware 2.0 HACKED

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by srent5, Mar 11, 2008.

1. NightStorm macrumors 68000

It is the 1.2 firmware from the simulator; they are assuming that it is the same as 2.0 will be when it is released. I think that is a very big assumption.

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

hacking the iPhone's firmware BEFORE it's even released...

nice...

Dear Apple - don't worry, it could've been worse. Ballmer could've been right... :eek:

3. onionperson654 macrumors regular

onionperson654

While is is certainly great news for June, and an indication that the SDk wasn't all that people wanted, it opens up a more pressing question...

Will we be able to use version 2.0 at any point in the near future? Without enterprise support this may not have many other advantages, but it could be like having a bootlegged DVD player (before any came out) that could play bootlegged DVDs. I WANT MY APPS.

4. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Wow... they hacked the worthless 1.2 firmware from a partially functional simulator. :rolleyes:
    2.0 is the firmware they will be sending to the corporate testers once their applications and signed NDA's have been approved.
    Those tests will involve REAL phones and not simulators.

5. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68020

ThunderSkunk

6. igglepuff macrumors regular

its the 1.2 fw for the actual phones atleat.. for users who had ave enterprise(im guessing?) dev programs and were accepted. it's not the'simulators fw' its the real 2.0 beta. Though, youre right that im sure there will be tons of changes. Does teh 2.0 beta fw even have the new radios and stuf, or just basically framework from what will be 2.0?

7. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

With the speed at which Apple is making updated- that is, pretty dang slow- I doubt that there will be a whole lot of difference between the simulator 1.2 firmware and the 2.0 that goes to developers. If Apple cannot add cut and paste in 8 months of "development" for iPhone since its release, I do not see them adding too much from the 1.2 FW from last week, and the 2.0 they will release next week to developers.

I think it is also worth noting (not dismissing as you seem to do) that 1.2 was broken in a couple days. While 2.0 is a big jump in numbers, it will be based on the 1.2. So, yes, 1.2 may be worthless because it really won't be released generally, but it shows that the iPhone Dev Team pwns the iPhone firmware. FW 2.0 won't be out a week before it is as cracked, hacked and broken as 1.1.4.

8. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

My point is, the 1.2 firmware in the SDK is missing the baseband.
    Since it's a simulator, it does not have a GSM radio or a Blue Tooth radio in it. The code to run those components is simply not there.

So saying they hacked it is really pointless as the baseband can give just as much of a headache as the OS. Part of why some early hacks required the baseband to be downgraded before they would work.

Now if they managed to get the "complete" beta 2.0 release that was sent to Enterprise customers for use on real iPhones, that's a different story.
    Every screen shot and video I've seen of this hack shows the firmware number as 1.2 with the same build number as the emulator (5A147p).

So call me a skeptic if you will.

9. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

I did NOT realize that the BB was not in there (I do not have the SDK). So I guess I just shot my mouth off w/o the facts in check. Sorry!

BTW, I just saw that ZiPhone will jailbreak and unlock beta 2.0. OK, now that should say that most things (hack-wise) stay about the same. See HERE for the very minimal details.

10. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

11. samiwas macrumors 65816

God I hate that term. pwnd. Who came up with that?

12. NightStorm macrumors 68000

A 13 year old kid who plays World of Warcraft too much. :D

13. DuRui macrumors member

I'd go back a little further ..like...you...know.....Quake....( 1...) :D