Firmware 2.0 + January Apps + Questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by fleshman03, Jul 10, 2008.

1. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

This question was bothering me for a while, so I did some searching and found out. I thought I'd share it with you.

The $10 price of firmware 2.0 will include all of the January Apps. (Hell Yeah!)

Proof:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1376

Now onto my current question. Before I shell out $10 for the update, if I reformat my computer and lose the authorization (Already at 5 out of 5) will I have problems getting apple to allow me to reauthorize again? If I get locked out, will I still be able to reinstall 2.0? (I know no one knows about 2.0. How did it work for the January Apps?) Will it automatically realize that I bought it? Mainly, is it tied to the serial number or my iTunes account?

Sorry for the million questions. Hopefully the answer I added will make up for it.

2. CVV1 macrumors member

CVV1

I think it's tied to your Itunes account. Some people just need new computers.

3. liquidh2o macrumors 6502

I wonder how Apple will handle this. $30 all together if you already bought the Jan upgrade, but only $10 all together if you waited it out. Wonder if there will be an announcement for those who paid for the Jan upgrade.

p.s. good info on the 2.0 including the Jan upgrade, i was unaware. This might actually tempt me to update!

4. fleshman03 thread starter macrumors 68000

fleshman03

That was the clincher for me. Not to mention that some of my apps were "updating" over to demos.

Now I'm going to have to update my signature soon. Oh well.

5. allbrokeup macrumors 6502

That happened to me. I had my precious touch jailbroken with a few apps (such as Lights Off which I can't live without) and decided to Restore it due to the fact that 2.0 is coming in the next day or two. After the Restore was complete, I realised that my JSU was erased from the HDD when I decided to do it and copied it back from the CD, I, ahem B**n*d it to. No go, it said I had already installed it 5 times from previous restores. So, I created a new iTunes account with an iTunes Store Card and edited the ".plist" file thats included inside and changed the account name to the new one and it worked! (You have to sign into the iTunes Store in that account to do it properly).

I thought I would just share that little tidbit to save you all some severe stress when you realise that your $20 Apps will no longer install due to either; File was Deleted or Installed too many times.

Cheers all!

allbrokeup.

6. icecold0913 macrumors member

FYI, you can always deauthorize your account in iTunes before you reformat/get a new computer. Also, you can go into account settings in the store and deauthorize all accounts if you want.

7. fleshman03 thread starter macrumors 68000

fleshman03

HA! Seriously, that would have saved me from creating the 3 iTunes accounts that I needed. Wow. Thank you!

8. Tragedies macrumors 6502

This is good for those who didn't want too, or haven't had the chance to update their iPod Touch to the Jan. update.

Although it sucks that people pay $30 dollars for the 2.0+Jan update, while currently you can pay $10, those peopel have to realize they payed 20 dollars higehr, but got the Apps months earlier. So 20 dollars difference seems worth it. If you bought the Jan. update right before it was taken down, then that would suck, heh.

9. careys7 macrumors newbie

Yes, it does suck that the Jan update users get less for their money.

One would have thought that they could have kept those (iPhone) apps out and the 2.0 upgrade could be free (since they are just going to make more money off app store).

I hope that they have thought about this, it will suck having to pay twice for the same software.