Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theshadow07039

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
Ok I love the new features on the iphone 2.0 multiple language keyboards (I am polylingual and love the fact i can communicate with my friends in chinese, japanese etc) app store (genius!) BUT....this software is sooo unstable, address book is laggy as hell, apps crash, ive had my ipod skips repeatedly, i've restored my iphone 4 times since the update, I was a late adopter of iphone 1.0 (i got it last dec) and i was spoiled by the nearly bugless 1.1.2-1.1.4. 2.0 is really spoiling my love of the iphone, I'm not sure if it was this bad when firmware 1.0 came out but I really am turn off by this buggy 2.0 software, I'm not sure about you guys but part of the reason why I bought the first ipod was for its responsive UI, I might have been spoiled by being a late adopter but come on it seems that Apple is *gasp* taking the microsoft route of quantity over quality. Can we expect one update to save them all or will the iphone 1.1.4 be the lost firmware of atlantis

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
Ok I love the new features on the iphone 2.0 multiple language keyboards (I am polylingual and love the fact i can communicate with my friends in chinese, japanese etc) app store (genius!) BUT....this software is sooo unstable, address book is laggy as hell, apps crash, ive had my ipod skips repeatedly, i've restored my iphone 4 times since the update, I was a late adopter of iphone 1.0 (i got it last dec) and i was spoiled by the nearly bugless 1.1.2-1.1.4. 2.0 is really spoiling my love of the iphone, I'm not sure if it was this bad when firmware 1.0 came out but I really am turn off by this buggy 2.0 software, I'm not sure about you guys but part of the reason why I bought the first ipod was for its responsive UI, I might have been spoiled by being a late adopter but come on it seems that Apple is *gasp* taking the microsoft route of quantity over quality. Can we expect one update to save them all or will the iphone 1.1.4 be the lost firmware of atlantis

I was going to post the same thing. After about 30 hard resets between my 2G and 3G phones, I have to believe that 2.0 should be a beta release, not a final release. Apple took some notes from Microsoft and learned that launch date is more important than actual performance, and take care of everything else through patches?

greenmymac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Tulsa, Ok

Apple will fix it and I would change the title of your thread

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007

Your return key isn't working either! The 2.0 Firmware is equivalent to Leopard 10.5.0. The first version of a new operating system is not perfect. Apple quickly addressed the problems with Leopard and it will do the same with the iphone firmware. You can be patient or you can panic and downgrade. IMHO - it is actually pretty decent for all the new features. I'm riding it out and most people will too.

greenmymac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Tulsa, Ok
Your return key isn't working either! The 2.0 Firmware is equivalent to Leopard 10.5.0. The first version of a new operating system is not perfect. Apple quickly addressed the problems with Leopard and it will do the same with the iphone firmware. You can be patient or you can panic and downgrade. IMHO - it is actually pretty decent for all the new features. I'm riding it out and most people will too.

Well said

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY

I don't know if I agree. I have actually had a relatively good experience with 2.0 (no hard resets, one or two 3rd party app crashes). But, if people are really having all these bugs, apple did have a lot of time to work them out. Hasn't there been beta's of 2.0 out to developers since January? With the large developer response, you'd think apple would have had plenty of feedback and time to respond.

We should also keep in mind that 3rd party app crashes may not be apple's fault.

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
I don't think Apple allowed developers to actually port the programs over. They were using emulators on Mac to test these programs.

theshadow07039

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
That is no excuse, if they have had soo many betas and knew people would download many apps there wouldn't be a problem now would there.

dieseltwitch

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
I really dont know why yours are doing that but mine works great. the only thing i dont like is that sync's take forever because of the apps..... wish with would have a way to stop backups

gceo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
I'm not going to downgrade or whine. This is all in the name of progress...

Now, that being said, I fully expected it to be more stable than it is.

babalou

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

I was thisclose to posting my own "I hate 2.0" thread but I see someone already beat me to the punch. I so hope that Apple releases something soon because this is pure madness. I'm using an original iPhone and just regret updating and the appz don't make up for the fact that email, and even scrolling through contacts is a pain in the ass!

GNice

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Agree that it is pretty rough, but just like 1.x Apple will work it out. Hopefully sooner rather than later...

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
A lot of apologists here but I agree OP, 2.0 is buggy as hell. I have never had to hard reset my iPhone as much as with 2.0. And that isn't when using 3rd party apps.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
I went into Apple today in london and told them my phone was doing the same as yours and restored it.

I didn't ask for a new phone.

The "genius" decided I needed a new phone as the crashing should not be that serious and often (personally I believe its down to 2.0) nevertheless I wasn't going to say no as I figured it couldn't hurt!

However they have none in stock (replacement 3G phones) so they have ordered one in for me - it may take 3/4 days he told me.

In the meantime aware that it was not convenient to go back to Apple in a few days I called O2 and they will send me a replacement "New" phone when they have stock "by the end of the week" I was told.

We will see!

BTW the genius told me I could not have a white iPhone as a swap - only the same colour!

theshadow07039

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
ok I just have to say I'm so mad right now my Iphone locked up 3 times since I started this post and I did a clean restore 10 times since friday....I don't know how to downgrade and I'm begging someone to show me. I can live without the apps bloomberg crashes soo much my portfolio checking is worthless...aim makes my ipod music skip when it plays....for the first time in my life I want to hand out torches and storm cupertino with an angry mob. I don't know WTF went on with these programmers when they thought this was ready for release but as an individual who buys his music from itunes, never jail broke his iphone, and was a .mac member for 3 years I am disgusted with the lack of precision that have been seen in previous products of apple. If the new blackberry touch is compatible with itunes and has a great UI and platform Apple jsut lost a highly loyal customer.

cph

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2008
My 2G phone has not locked up. Safari crashed a few times. ipod has not skipped. But SMS and Contacts are very very slow.

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
I think the title of this thread is a bit extreme for starters. Although in saying this you could also argue the point.

At the moment I am not upgrading to the iPhone 3G as the farm is not a place for it to be used, iPhone EDGE is being used for that purpose at the moment!! :eek: :D

I upgraded to 2.0 the day it was out (meant I had a high class shiny paperweight for 4 hours, but MacRumors did warn me!!)

Well what have my first impressions been. The firmware itself is pretty good for what it has introduced, thats a no brainer, still not perfect but pretty good. The real issue comes when you take a look at the two most glaring bugs.

What are the two most commonly used applications of a phone? SMS and Phone, obviously. There are no two ways about it. Unless you have no friends, work colleages or family. So where have Apple managed to put the two most glaring bugs. Yea you guessed it, in the Phone and SMS applications.

SMS: My SMS keyboard on 1.1.4 was awesome, in 2.0 its naff. Thats about all that can be said of it. Night and Day. Has locked up numerous times. FIX: hold home button, PRACTICALIY: zero.

PHONE: My contacts list which only has 50 contacts is a pain in the hole, virtually everytime you go to phone someone it lags in scrolling. Selecting the contact also lags with the blue highlight taking just that bit longer to present itself. Its been picky I know but it gets very noticeable in comparison with 1.1.4 which was rock solid. FIX: Not one I know off, PRACTICALITY: zero.

So in returing to my original point, the OP of the thread may not be so far of with their evaluation of 2.0. Its now Apples move, they had better deliver the goods in 2.0.1 :cool:

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
Other than a few apps acting up and the growing pains with the .me servers, no problems here on an iPhone gen 1.
Loving it in fact.
Anyone with experience with Apple knows that they are quick to act on bugs with updates.

ooo

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
I've restored my phone a big 0 times. I guess I got a good one in the batch. I agree though, it's a bit laggy and the apps do crash at times. I knew what I was getting into when I paid for an iphone though, so no complaints.

iflipper

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
Leeds, UK
I've had some problems with mobileme - virtually no push email, calendar adding extra events and even slower contacts app when syncing it (so I've given up on that for now). I've also found the SMS to be very slow. Apart from that it's been gnerally stable for me. I've had safari bomb a couple of times and once the video playback died but that is pretty much on a par with my 2g iPhone on the old firmware. I don't know if I've been lucky or have the right combo of third party apps for now. Maybe I shouldn't install anything else in case I jinx it!

Stardotboy

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Manchester, UK
I installed 2.0 on my first gen iPhone as soon as it came out and have had absolutely no issues with it. Sounds unfortunate that some people are obviously having a lot of trouble with it - I wonder if it's to do with what version of the hardware it's installed on.

THATxGUY

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2008
I really dont know why yours are doing that but mine works great. the only thing i dont like is that sync's take forever because of the apps..... wish with would have a way to stop backups

You're telling me you have the one iPhone in the world that doesn't have all of the 2.0 bugs. I work at an Apple store and I've tested dozens of iPhones and every one suffers from a few major bugs.....

1. Every time you use your ipod and change the volume, it changes the volume of your ringer. The side button will still show that the ringer is up, but if you go to sound settings you will notice the ringer volume is the same as were you left the ipod volume. This happened in 100% of all the iPhones (old and new) running 2.0 that I tested.

2. SMS tone, tri-tone works about fifty percent of the time.

3. The UI is very laggy, especially in contacts and SMS.

4. Crashing apps and screens freezing.

Hopefully Apple addresses all of these in firmware 2.0.1
Send apple feedback and tell them about these bugs......
http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.