Firmware 2.1 - Battery Life

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jlz1322, Sep 16, 2008.

1. jlz1322 macrumors newbie

Has anyone noticed any significally change in their Iphone battery life after firmware 2.1 just as Apple mentioned? If so can you state around how much? I have notice on mine it lasts like double the time now.

2. macbookpronoob macrumors member

3. jlz1322 thread starter macrumors newbie

actually I have tried searching but have found no luck finding anything about wether the the update has helped people with the battery life or not

4. haddman macrumors regular

Yeah, there is like 2 other threads with about a few hundred posts on this already.....:rolleyes:

5. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

I think it has added like 15-30 min, if that... Very negligable... I think it's more like the the calibration is different... I seen my battery drop 10% within 5 min after doing the update one time...very odd... But on average, it's 3 minutes per 1% for me...

Id think its a hoax... But then again... Your claiming double.. And I believe u... So it's odd on how much this battery varies...

And u didn't have to search for other battery posts... They aren't but a couple posts deep...

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

2.1 has absolutely murdered my battery life: previously the phone would last until about 7:00pm before giving me the 20% warning: not brilliant but workable. Now I get the warning about 4:00pm and tonight my phone was completely dead by 7:00pm. This is without using the iPod functionality: I've started taking my nano into the office because the battery would be dead by lunch if I used the phone as an iPod too.

7. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

2.1 fw has doubled the battery life on my first gen iPhone. I've been running for three days on a charge with the same usage as on 2.0.x.

8. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.1 PWNed): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Several of which I even linked to in my first post. Apparently doing so was a complete waste of time. :rolleyes:

9. ScubaRLP macrumors newbie

Maybe if you were less of an A$$ about it. Agreed there are probably answers to the OP's question in other threads...but you could have pointed that out in a helpful way or not responded at all...your comment and the following unhelpful replies waste much more time and space then someone asking an honest question.

10. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

My battery life has definitely improved. If I started the day with a full battery and barely used my phone during the day (ie, checked email once or twice, made a 5 minute call) with Wifi/bluetooth off, the next morning if I didn't charge, it would have already shut itself off due to low power. I now can sit around during the day leaving Wifi/bluetooth on playing the iPod or doing network related tasks, and still have battery remaining the next day.

11. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

Mavis as cool and helpful you are my Japan living buddy, you sure can be a jerk sometimes lol j/k.

I totally agree with Mavis, you need to search. I am just as guilty as the next about not searching(till lately) but this is covered A LOT.

To sum it up for you, turn your phone of and then back on every once in a while. the reason your battery sucks is because of 3rd party apps. The crash in the background sometimes and just need to be cleared out. Is this a acceptable solution....no not really but nothing apple can do about it just yet.

12. senorian macrumors regular

i feel like my battery hasn't really improved much. if anything it's stayed the same. I still have problems with the phone switching between Edge and 3G although now I also have an 0 that the phone is switching to. So instead of leaving my phone on 3g and not be worried about all the switches and draining battery l still have to leave it on Edge. I guess i'll just by an extra charger to keep at work.

13. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

before i'd get pretty much through 2 days on only EDGE. But since the update, i've left 3G on, and get to the 2 day mark. So yeah huge improvement i think.

14. Dizle macrumors 6502

mine deffinetly didn't improve, if anything it went down a little. And my keyboard lags when typing stuff like this on the intra web.

15. stockcerts macrumors 65816

My battery life is significantly improved. I'm on a business trip this week and I'm appreciating the improved battery life. Thanks Apple!

16. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.1 PWNed): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Oh, I'm sorry. I'm guessing my tone annoys you about as much as having to sort through a dozen '2.1 Battery - good/bad???' threads annoys me.

Anyway, I'll let you have fun holding the OP's hand. If you're lucky, I might even post a '2.1 Battery - good/bad???' thread of my very own, since there don't seem to be enough already. ;)

17. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Definitely a huge increase...much closer to my iphone 1g. Can go two to three days with normal use.

18. jlz1322 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry Mavis I just figured out you put in those links I was so busy at work when I looked at your reply that I didn't even notice them, but thanks alot.

19. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

Mavis you are so funny. hey will you check out my post on our Iphone in japan thread? thanks!

20. c43amg macrumors member

At first my battery life was not as good as before the upgrade.
    I twice did a restore BUT using a backup. I than decided to do a "factory" restore as a NEW PHONE and than added all my stuff and battery life is much much better than ever.

Make sure you at least let your battery die to 3 percent or whatever the # is before the phone shuts down. Let it shut down before going to be than turn it off completely and charge it. You WILL see a difference! If you do this TWICE its gets better faster.

21. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Yeah, maybe I should've made them more obvious. ;)

Anyway, you're welcome. :)

22. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

I went from 5 hours a charge to 80 hours a charge with the firmware change.

So that is like a 1500% increase.

23. maximus06 macrumors regular

Seems to have decreased significantly on my 2G phone :(

24. ishopukisfake macrumors regular

I understand there can be a logjam of similar threads, but there really is no need to be rude and insulting about it. It takes more energy to make an angry insulting post than to just overlook the thread you feel upset by.