Firmware changes detected?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by Justaguy48, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Justaguy48 macrumors member

I'm pretty experienced with macOS, but I got a notification I have never gotten before and don't know what it means, I am attaching a picture of the notification. If anyone has gotten this and can explain what it is, that would be most helpful.

Screen Shot 2017-06-03 at 2.00.07 PM.png

2. treekram macrumors 6502a

3. Justaguy48 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your response. I am running the 10.12.6 beta on a 2016 15 inch MBP. I had never seen this before and I had not performed an update since last Monday, so opening up my Mac today and seeing that was out of the blue.

4. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Peculiar what makes it think there are firmware changes then... Had you connected any peripherals or similar?

5. treekram macrumors 6502a

It appears that this issue is pretty common among people that have the eficheck kext installed (those who have later beta versions of Sierra). So it's likely either a bug or the list of checksums, if that's what they're using, isn't exhaustive - which points to a basic flaw of this particular approach.

6. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

That doesn't seem very good if they plan on releasing this to the general public. People will get confused and think they have severe issues.

What I can say however, is that I've got the kext, and no error messages here :)

7. Justaguy48 thread starter macrumors member

Nothing out of the ordinary. It is always plugged into my USB-C adapter for power, HDMI and USB keyboard. But when I got that notification nothing was plugged in at all.

8. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Could it be that it loads some kexts for the hub, and since they were loaded when the eficheck was installed, it created a checksum for the kernel with those kexts present, and it recognizes it as different because the hub kexts aren't loaded?