firmware for replacement 3GS?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by trajen, Feb 23, 2012.

1. trajen macrumors 6502a

does anybody here have an idea of what firmware a replacement 3GS will be on? i have a 3GS unlocked with the iPad baseband but it's beat to **** and the speaker stopped working, kind of want to get it replaced but afraid Apple will give me a non-unlockable replacement. any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

2. Makman8 macrumors member

Makman8

I thought most if not all refurbs come with factory iOS? As in old firmware and not the new firmware.

For instance I replaced an iphone 4 and got one with 4.0 iOS software....

The only way I believe it will be 5.0.1 is if when your given the phone apple may ask you if you would like it updated or help installing your backup. Which you can say no and walk away with a fresh old iOS.

3. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I've had my 3GS replaced multiple times and each time, it came with the newest OS. When I had my Original iPhone replaced, it came with 3.1.3 (newest available to it).

4. Makman8 macrumors member

Makman8

hmmm do you know if they updated it before they handed it to you?

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Nope. They just installed my SIM card and activated it. The whole exchange process (after they deemed I needed a replacement device) took under 5 minutes.

6. Makman8 macrumors member

Makman8

Hmm. Would the same be for a (non refurb)brand new device as well?

7. Nlynn527 macrumors regular

8. Makman8 macrumors member

Makman8

Then iOS 5.0.1 it is. :eek:

9. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

It's funny that all the replies are from newbies that didn't read properly. OP's iphone has iPad's baseband and that voids the warranty! If you don't have an iPad baseband then Apple will very likely give you the latest firmware (5.0.1). Not sure if Apple will replace a newer 3GS or an old 3GS. The newer 3GS cannot use iPad's baseband to unlock. If you attempt to install iPad baseband on the newer 3GS then it will fry the baseband and brick it.

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

1+ you voided your warranty if you are lucky they will replace it. they might also tell you that you are SOL. If they give you any replacement take it and run. and nobody knows what firmware would be on it.. newer version is most likely. worry more about if they will exchange it then what firmware it will be. ;)

11. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Lies. They don't care what you've done to it, as long as you're paying for the repair (within reason... Apple's replacement policy states that it needs to be in one piece). Find me something that says using the iPad BB on a new bootrom 3GS (which he probably has anyway..) will brick it. You (gngan) are calling me a noob, but I have more posts and experience than you. Who's the real noob here?

BTW, you can't fry a baseband because it is a piece of software.

12. gngan, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

You've got more experience because you got more post? lol. Is that all you can think of?
    You've got more post than me so you are better? That doesn't make sense.

Jailbreak voids warranty. It's a known fact. Try bring in your jailbroken idevices and see if they will do any warranty work for you.

There are 3 types of 3GS out there. The old bootrom, new bootrom and new bootrom that is made after week 30 in 2011. If you have 'more experience' then you should of known this because it has been discuss in MR and other forums. You can keep spamming forums and have many more post than me but that doesn't make you more experience or knowledge.

Here is a document for you. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yu-5i8hufa0Iqpj6mq7PfbpcNX2sydiazmvxvas-9Ic/mobilebasic?pli=1

13. saud0488 macrumors 6502

You're both very wrong, and I'm probably newer than both of you.

Here is what you are going to do if you want to get your iPhone exchanged. Take your iphone right now, back it up and do a regular restore from iTunes (DFU works as well). It will then get stuck in the activation loop. Take it into Apple and explain that you were trying to restore and now it won't activate. (if you are on iOS5, you will be stuck on the activation screen). they will then take the IMEI or serial and verify that you are under warranty and will swap out your phone. I know this from a lot of experience. The baseband won't show and plugging it into a laptop won't show them anything either. If you need extra help with this, PM me. I know what I'm talking about unlike the other posters in this thread.

Oh and being on 5.0.1 really doesn't matter since 4.1 is still being signed. Also, the serial number trick really doesn't work for refurb iphones since those are QR models and they do not really show when the original chipset on the iPhone was made. Thus it's really a crapshoot as far as whether you get one with a chipset that can be flashed to 6.15.00. I haven't gotten very many that can't though so you're probably going to be fine.

14. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I don't spam forums. All of my posts have meaning and are very useful. I was not aware of the new bootrom device after week 30 in 2011. Thank you for explaining yourself.

15. trajen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the input, dudes! I would like a new-er 3GS but I don't want to risk the chance of getting the new, non-unlockable bootrom. That would SUCK. Guess I'll just hang on to this phone.

16. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

It doesn't really matter who is newer. It's a matter of reading OP and reply sensibly.

Not a 100% about your suggestion but i guess it's worth a try if the iphone is already brick. But i don't think that is the case of OP. I thought there's only one way to see IMEI and that is to go to setting (or maybe in the chip). If Genuis is able to go to setting then they will see it has a iPad baseband.

I am thinking that if Genuis can't restore it with the normal way (without custom ISPW) then they may just give you a replacement.

I am just pointing out that anyone can spam the forum and have more post. So according to your logic, then they have more experience.

You are saying that Apple will repair it if you pay for it as long as it is in one piece even if it's jailbroken. That's wrong.

Is there any shop that repair/fix iphone? Maybe you can get a quote from them. If not then try ifixit.com and see if you are comfortable to do it your own.

17. saud0488 macrumors 6502

It works, trust me. Actually your serial and imei are also printed on your SIM tray. The serial is also all over the inside of your phone, at least 3 places I believe. That's the beauty of having it stuck on the activation screen, it doesn't activate thus they can't see it.

18. Nlynn527 macrumors regular

Just because we're "newbies" doesn't mean we don't know what we're talking about. The OP didn't asked whether or not we thought he would be able to get it replaced because of the iPad BB. He simply asked what iOS version replacement units come with.

And for the record, I exchanged more than one 3GS that has had the iPad baseband for a replacement unit for various reasons.

19. Makman8 macrumors member

Makman8

Sounds to me like your a Troll.

20. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Sounds to me you like to give suggestion when you know nothing about it.

21. Makman8 macrumors member

Makman8

Just because I have a newbie tag? Im sorry I dont spend all day looking for articles to act "smart" on. Do us a favor and hump your bike some more and spend less time trolling around. :p

22. trajen thread starter macrumors 6502a

23. saud0488 macrumors 6502

Just go off my answers on here, and feel free to PM me if you need any help or tips. Best of luck!

24. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Did I say you are newbie because of your tag? (hint: join date) Don't assume things. I am categorizing the people that reply was all newbies and didn't give OP a proper solution. I don't spend all days here to give proper help but when I do, I give the appropriate answer. Look who's throlling. Don't be angry because you can't give any help. :mad:

I'm glad it helped you.