Resolved Firmware lock out T2 chip - HELP!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by soulreaver99, Jun 5, 2019.

1. soulreaver99 macrumors 68030

soulreaver99

Hey guys I’m in a bit of a pickle here.

I bought a 2018 MacBook Pro 13 from a forum member here a few months ago. Every was awesome till today when I attempted to boot off an external drive. I selected the external as my startup disk. When it loads, it hangs on the progress bar right at the end.

So I try restarting without the external drive and a password screen comes up. I have no idea what the password is, tried guessing and nothing works. I messaged and emailed the seller a few hours ago, haven’t heard back. Hopefully he replies with the password or at least the receipt or invoice.

Last resort is that this thing does have Apple Care Plus which covers damage after a $299 deductible.

2. LogicalApex macrumors 6502

You'll need to reach the seller. Nothing anyone here can do about a firmware password.

That being said, the firmware issue wouldn't cost $300 under AppleCare to fix.

3. soulreaver99 thread starter macrumors 68030

soulreaver99

Unless I smash this thing to pieces

4. soulreaver99 thread starter macrumors 68030

soulreaver99

It’s resolved. He emailed me the password. Omg that was scary

5. danmart macrumors 6502a

danmart

For future reference, which password where you missing? Was it the one for FileVault, or something different?

6. soulreaver99 thread starter macrumors 68030

soulreaver99

Secure boot that’s on the touchbar Macs 2018-present

7. BeatCrazy macrumors 68000

The real question, how do would-be sellers avoid this situation when selling their T2-enabled Macs? I don’t want to put myself or a buyer in this position.

8. soulreaver99 thread starter macrumors 68030

soulreaver99

Pretty much explains it here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208198

make sure the seller removes the firmware password

9. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

I don’t know how much Macs have changed with the T2 chip, as I have a 2015, but just don’t enable a firmware password? Or if you do, disable it.

I doubt it’ll be much of a problem, most people don’t need a firmware password or know how to even enable it.

10. donawalt macrumors 6502

donawalt

I didn't see this mentioned in the article, if a user sets a firmware password, then prepares to sell the MacBook Pro by reformatting the disk and reinstalling the latest MacOS, is the firmware password requirement still there? I haven't seen anyone specify "turn off the firmware password" in the "How to prepare your MacBook Pro for sale" articles, maybe because it's new or the reformat/reinstall takes care of it?