iPhone Firmware mishap - near brick iphone 4s

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by RichardDurp, Sep 21, 2012.

1. RichardDurp macrumors newbie

My iphone 4s was on 5.1.1 when it stopped getting service randomly. I didn't get any prompts when removing or putting the sim card back in, but tried the sim in another phone and got service.

Tried to re-install ios 5.1.1 via redsnow and it gave an 'itunes error -1'. Now its stuck in the recovery loop and I'm unable to get it out. I tried exiting recovery with redsnow as well as tinyumbrella, on 2 different windows PCs and 2 different macs.
    Tried putting it in DFU mode and restoring with both itunes and redsnow, still get the same problem.

Depending on what I've tried last to fix it, my iphone will either show the 'plug into itunes' picture, show a completely blank screen, or get stuck in a loop where the progress bar comes up and its continually trying to update the firmware.

I saved my SHSH blob for 5.1.1 so I tried to restore for 5.1.1 as well as upgrading to 6.0. -1 error on both.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be very appreciative.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It is impossible to brick an iPhone 4S unless it has a hardware issue. Restore it on another computer. If it still gives you error -1, use TinyUmbrella to attempt to get it out of Recovery mode.

3. RichardDurp thread starter macrumors newbie

I just used the phrase 'near bricked' because I know its not completely bricked, but its the most accurate way to describe what my phone is doing right now.

I tried to restore via itunes as well as exit recovery (and fix recovery) with tinyumbrella on 2 separate windows computers as well as 2 separate mac computers

4. longtom1 macrumors newbie

Are you using normal dfu or pawned dfu??

have you stitched the blobs to the firmware??

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The 4S cannot go into pwned DFU mode because no bootrom exploit exists for it. Stitched IPSWs are not an option for A5 and newer devices, like the 4S.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

there is no such thing as near bricked! ;) it's either a brick or it's not! but any way. Intell should have you going in the right direction.

7. RichardDurp thread starter macrumors newbie

Normal DFU mode. I can't get redsnow to recognize my phone to do a pwned DFU mode. I'll get an error saying 'no device detected' when my phone is in DFU mode and pwned dfu is selected on red snow, then it'll give me a message saying "Sorry, that isn't supported yet on the Iphone 4S"

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

pwnedDFU has never been possible on a 4S since they are not susceptible to the Limera1n exploit.

9. TC25 macrumors 68020

Like 'near pregnant', 'near bricked' is an impossible state to be in.

10. romeo0119 macrumors 6502

-1 error means hardware issue. If you suddenly have no signal or service, that might be it.

11. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

That error can be cleared by using Redsn0w or TinyUbrella to kick it out of recovery.

12. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

OP, if you have a spare phone that you can use for a little while, the iphone dev team will be releasing a new redsn0w that will allow you to re-install 5.1.1. But its not released yet. Of course you'll need the hash and apticket in order to restore to 5.1.1. But you also need to be currently on 5.1.1. So if you upgrade to 6.0 you will not be able to downgrade to 5.1.1.

Or if you don't care about a jailbreak, there's no reason you can't just use iTunes and DFU mode to install 6.0. Kick your phone out of recovery mode and use a completely different computer. Make sure you are using the latest iTunes. In order to install 6.0, your iTunes must be completely updated. It will work.

13. RichardDurp thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the replies, but as of right now, its a brick. I don't know about you guys but if it won't make phone calls, run apps or get text messages, then for all definitions, its a brick.

I've used both tinyumbrella and redsnow to push it out of recovery mode. The phone tries to boot, fails, then goes back to the 'plug into itunes' screen.

I've also tried to restore to 5.1.1 via itunes and redsnow, AS WELL as trying fresh install to 6.0 via itunes and redsnow.
    Ive tried to restore/fresh install in both DFU mode as well as recovery mode - still nothing.

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The definition of a bricked iOS device is one that will not show any signs of life. One that will not show an Apple logo, be seen by the computer, or do anything at all. Yours is not a brick as it is seen be the computer and turns on.

15. damitssam macrumors 6502

Use iRem to boot into DFU mode, should then automatically exploit it with greenpoison. Then go to itunes and hit restore. This should bump you back to 6.0.

16. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Just to confirm, you are using the latest iTunes right (I think it's 10.7)? Im pretty sure you can't upgrade to 6.0 without it.

Also, you can't restore to 5.1.1 right now until the new redsn0w is released. Your only option is to install 6.0 right now. You can take the gamble and wait until redsn0w is released but there's no telling when that will come out. But if you don't have a spare phone then 6.0 is your only option. Just keep in mind that once you go to 6.0 you won't be able to downgrade to 5.1.1.

Its absolutely possible you have a hardware malfunction. But it's 100% impossible to brick your phone jailbreaking with redsnow or absinthe. If you don't think it's a hardware issue then you can restore your phone. It's just a matter of sorting through these errors.

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iRem does not work with the 4S and neither does greenpoison.

He can't restore to iOS 5.1.1 because he already went to iOS 6. Even though it failed, he cannot go back to 5.1.1.

18. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Oh really? I didn't know that even if it fails you can't go back. Thanks for pointing that out!

19. RichardDurp thread starter macrumors newbie

Correct, latest itunes. I was able to attempt a restore to 5.1.1 when the signing window was open, but it appears to have closed so my only option is 6.0 - which is fine by me, i just want my phone to be functional again and not an illuminated paper weight.

I don't think its a hardware issue, although it was quite strange my phone wouldn't recognize when I took the sim out and put it back in; normally it gives some sort of notification.
    The phone is only 3 or 4 months old, so I really hope its not hardware.

Also I can't find 'iRem' anywhere. Doesn't seem to be on this list http://www.idownloadblog.com/iphone-downloads/

20. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

If it's only three or four months old, take it to the genius bar and let them fix it for you. If they can't, they'll give you a new one. Why are you making it hard on yourself?

21. RichardDurp thread starter macrumors newbie

The nearest apple store is 2 hours away.
    Its also jailbroken, which they'll be able to see since I didn't delete my data before trying to restore.

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Sorry to hear there isn't an Apple store closer to you, but that's your best option. If your phone isn't booting up, they'll give you a replacement unit, they won't bother checking to see if it's been jailbroken or not. Or rather, if it doesn't boot, they CAN'T check whether it's jailbroken, because it needs to boot in order for them to see what's on it.

23. RichardDurp thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay.. Well that seems to be my only option right now.
    What if they get it to boot and them see that its jailbroken? They'll charge me for the time and void my warranty then I assume?

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

No, they don't charge you for the time. I know because I've taken in out of warranty items for evaluation. The evaluation is free, they only charge for any actual repairs or replacement. It's true that technically, they could void your warranty if they discover your phone is jailbroken, but I've never heard of that happening. And if they do somehow get it to boot up and decide to void your warranty, you'd have a functioning even if out-of-warranty phone, which IMO is better than a brick.