Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brainwave89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
My MacBook Pro with High Sierra suddenly started crashing after logging onto my user account. Now the each time I start it the firmware password screen appears. Of course, so far, I have forgotten my password. How can I get to the screen where I can enter my user account password?

Thank you for looking.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
If you don't know the firmware password, and it's a somewhat modern Mac, there's no way of getting into the computer. I recommend contacting Apple to hear if they have a solution for you, but the firmware password is meant to keep intruders out, and if you don't have the key, it'll keep you out too.

Reactions: cdcastillo

Ruskes

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2019
You are out of luck.
The Firmware password is the ultimate protection.
Can you boot into any start up modes ?

Last edited:
Reactions: cdcastillo

brainwave89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
If you don't know the firmware password, and it's a somewhat modern Mac, there's no way of getting into the computer. I recommend contacting Apple to hear if they have a solution for you, but the firmware password is meant to keep intruders out, and if you don't have the key, it'll keep you out too.
Thanks for the note, Ruskes. Fortunately, the firmware password showed up. Problem solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.