Firmware password: how to enable on mbp ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fa.ce, Apr 24, 2007.

1. fa.ce macrumors 6502

Hi,
    1) i've execute applications/utilities/utility password firmware on my mbp dvd
    2) i've clicked on modify button
    3) i've inserted twice a firmware password
    4) i've inserted admin password
    5) i exit the program
    i restart mbp
    nothing happens ar start up !
    no firmware password is asked ...
    why ?
    thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you read this? You don't need the firmware password to log into your machine, you just need it to access various commands at startup, and make various boot sequence changes.

• Blocks the ability to use the "C" key to start up from an optical disc.
    • Blocks the ability to use the "N" key to start up from a NetBoot server.
    • Blocks the ability to use the "T" key to start up in Target Disk Mode (on computers that offer this feature).
    • Blocks the ability to use the "D" key to start up from the Diagnostic volume of the Install DVD.
    • Blocks the ability to start up a system in Single-user mode by pressing the Command-S key combination during startup.
    • Blocks a reset of Parameter RAM (PRAM) by pressing the Command-Option-P-R key combination during startup.
    • Requires the password to use the Startup Manager, accessed by pressing the Option key during startup.

3. fa.ce thread starter macrumors 6502

• I've click on C at startup and nothing happens, nor password is asked.
      If i've to access with C at startup shouldn't appears a box where insert firmware password ?
      Now clicking C at startup simply does not work ...

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nah, it won't ask for a password. It just won't allow it. On the PPC machines you'd have to reset the password in Open Firmware but Intel machines don't have this ability so I'm not 100% sure what to do. Maybe reset the PRAM to get rid of the password and then try booting from the CD again? I dunno mate. Sorry. :eek: