Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackbirdz

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
I want to secure my Mac so that even me or our NSA friend would not be able to login without correct password. I thought firmware password is secured, but Apple said:

If you can't remember the password you set using the Firmware Password Utility or Find My Mac, schedule a service appointment with an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. Bring your proof of purchase (original receipt or invoice) with you.

It sounds like the procedure is very easy so long you have receipt, Apple service provider could open it. Is there anyway to make MacOS like iOS? If password is forgotten, even Apple won't be able to open it (not sure whether this is true or not, but it's much more secure than providing receipt).

Any feedback?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i always had a firmware protection on my powerbooks, macbooks. but this year, i couldn't get in to recovery on my 2015 macbook pro, and wound up taking it to an apple store, & having them remove the FW password. will not try that again....

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
i always had a firmware protection on my powerbooks, macbooks. but this year, i couldn't get in to recovery on my 2015 macbook pro, and wound up taking it to an apple store, & having them remove the FW password. will not try that again....

this dont make sense

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
this dont make sense

i could not get past the firmware protect window; the cursor would freeze before i could either move to the input window (for my password), or freeze as soon as i typed a letter or 2. and since i couldn't get in, i could not reinstall the OS.

i tried any number of things, finally called apple. they sent me to an applestore, where (armed with my purchase receipt), they kept my MBP for 2 days, and removed the firmware protect.

am sure this is an isolated incident, and i never had a problem previously (i've owned macbooks/powerbooks since the 2400c).

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
I want to secure my Mac so that even me or our NSA friend would not be able to login without correct password.

Hardening your personal computer against the NSA is an unrealistic goal, I believe. Especially since all bets are off once the attacker has physical access. Better to just stop the common thief.

The firmware password will just prevent booting from a different drive, which is what would typically be done to wipe an encrypted internal drive and have a new, clean computer. Filevault, of course, prevents access to your data, so that's essential.

Bottom line: if you want to protect your data, use Filevault. If you want to turn the device into dead weight if it's stolen, use a firmware password (and FileVault). As you know, the firmware password can be reset, so know your serial number and report it as stolen to Apple. That way, it can be intercepted if they bring it to Apple to reset the firmware password. (There are also third party tools, but a common thief won't have them, I don' think.) Frankly, I wish the firwware password and FileVault were required - that might discourage theft once word got out.

Last edited:

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Bottom line: if you want to protect your data, use Filevault. If you want to turn the device into dead weight if it's stolen, use a firmware password (and FileVault).
This is exactly right, and very well said.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Hardening your personal computer against the NSA is an unrealistic goal, I believe. Especially since all bets are off once the attacker has physical access. Better to just stop the common thief.

The firmware password will just prevent booting from a different drive, which is what would typically be done to wipe an encrypted internal drive and have a new, clean computer. Filevault, of course, prevents access to your data, so that's essential.

Bottom line: if you want to protect your data, use Filevault. If you want to turn the device into dead weight if it's stolen, use a firmware password (and FileVault). As you know, the firmware password can be reset, so know your serial number and report it as stolen to Apple. That way, it can be intercepted if they bring it to Apple to reset the firmware password. (There are also third party tools, but a common thief won't have them, I don' think.) Frankly, I wish the firwware password and FileVault were required - that might discourage theft once word got out.

apple will only reset the firmware password if either a: you bought your mac from apple, or b: you bring in proof of purchase (which is what i had to do). so a stolen mac brought to an applestore would never get the FW password reset...

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Frankly, I wish the firwware password and FileVault were required - that might discourage theft once word got out.

I was hoping that the introduction of the Secure Enclave on the new MacBook Pros would be a step towards this, but it seems that this is not the case. At least Apple has not advertised this so far.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
apple will only reset the firmware password if either a: you bought your mac from apple, or b: you bring in proof of purchase (which is what i had to do). so a stolen mac brought to an applestore would never get the FW password reset...
I don't think Apple tracks stolen Macs. At least from what I have read I have not seen any evidence that they track them. Even Apple's support doc here just tells you to report it to the police.

Another flaw in this is there are eBay sellers who will reset the EFI for you. I have been skeptical if this works, but the two I see on there now have a bunch of favorable reviews and I have seen forum posts here from people who successfully used these services.

I notice both the sellers are saying their method no longer works on 2015 and newer models though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.