Firmware Password Utility

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cakester, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Cakester macrumors regular

I need help. I'm trying to set up a firmware password and I'm having trouble finding the firmware password utility. You folks are always helpful and I'm just trying to learn a little bit and prevent (another) thief from taking my Macbook. Or at least being able to wipe my hard drive and ultimately deleting Orbicules Undercover.

Thanks for your help.

Many places are saying boot from the Leopard install disk and I have the disc in the drive and am restarting, but I guess I'm just missing something? Maybe I'm just confused as to how to "boot from install disc" and get to the firmware password utility?

Help?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The firmware password utility is on the install disc, but doesn't get installed onto the machine. If you pop in the install disc while logged in you can access the program. It's in a hidden Applications folder. Open a Finder window and go to the disc hold Shift+Cmd+G and a prompt will pop-up. Type in Applications and hit enter. This will give you access to the hidden folder. From there go into the Utilities folder and you'll find Firmware Password Utility.

You can also boot from the install discs by holding the C-key during startup. It'll bring you to the setup screen and there should be a Utilities menu where you can access I believe.

That said, don't bother setting a firmware password. Apple them self gives instructions on their site showing how to bypass it without a lot of effort. It's not really very secure.

3. Cakester thread starter macrumors regular

The "command + shift + H" takes me to my home folder in my finder window. I also attempted to do the "C" during boot with the install disk in the drive. No luck.

I'm sure there is a way to bypass the firmware set up, but it would make me happy to know that someone else has to at THE VERY LEAST use some brain power to wipe a firmware password.

I know I can't prevent a theft and I also know I can't be sure that I'll ever catch them. But the least I can do is make it as hard and inconvenient as possible.

If anyone else has any suggestions, let me know. Otherwise, I'll just roll with Undercover and hope no one get's too smart....

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Apple Support online is your friend. Boot to the install disc like you would to reset your admin password or to reinstall the OS. Bring up the Firmware Password Utility in the Utilities menu and set one up. Please take note that there is a relatively easy way to clear a firmware password, and I think the way to bypass firmware password protection has been posted on MacRumors and a few other sites.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Sorry, I meant G, not H. Typo. If holding C during started didn't work it kind of sounds like a firmware password may already be setup, or you weren't holding it at the right time. I usually start holding it just after the chime.

6. Cakester thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome, thanks so much. The C at the chime worked perfectly, thanks for that description. I found the Firmware Password Utility in the top menu bar, under Utilities after it booted to the OSX installation.

Firmware password set!!