Firmware Restoration CD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 030108, Apr 13, 2008.

1. 030108 macrumors member

I used a 700 MB CD-R to make "Firmware Restoration CD 1.6 via Disk Utility.

After successfully burning the CD "get info" shows Capacity: 6.4 MB, Used: 6.4 MB, and Available: Zero KB

It is a 700 MB CD-R.

What happened to the rest of my space on it?

Is the one and only thing I can have on it the firmware restoration?

note: I just made the CD to have it. I am not restoring my firmware now. In fact, I am scared of the recent "MB EFI Firmware Update 1.2" so I have not done it. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=469931

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

You've closed the session on the CD, meaning you can not record anything else to it. The total capacity of the CD is, therefore, the total of what is on it - 6.4mb - and you can put nothing else on it, so the available space is nought.

3. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I can't imagine why you are scared of the firmware update. It takes all of 2 minutes to complete. Has there been problems with the firmware update that you have heard about? I welcome updates. It usually means they are fixing some minor problems.

4. 030108 thread starter macrumors member

How do I never ever let that happen to me again?

Do I need to burn CDs with different software or what?

Is "burning" a CD different from saving a file on to a CD?

5. 030108 thread starter macrumors member

That is what I like to wait to find out.

There have been software updates that users, to my recollection, on this very forum were complaining had caused problems. Apple subsequently released another update; after the new update was applied the problem caused by the one a short time before it stopped manifesting.

I usually apply updates pretty quickly; especially, if they are referred to as being critical or security updates. But, at the same time, I at least read an update's description. If my machine is obviously not manifesting the issue that an update's description says it is supposed to resolve, such as the Keyboard Firmware Update 1.0, I do not just apply the update anyway.

Software manufacturers virtually ALWAYS release software, update or not, with some "issues" present. That is why we see language in the update description like "...fixes..." such and such or increases "...stability..."

If software manufacturers were willing to, or possibly capable of, release a PERFECT update, then, the frequency of updates would be far less. If you do not believe me look at the version history of any software and you will see each successive update being described as "fixes" a litany of stuff over the previous update.

And why do you think software manufacturers need to BETA test? I am confident most of them will tell you that it is because they consider it impossible, or at least too costly in terms of manpower, to pinpoint most issues before release by any other means. So they get average users to test their software for issues free of charge, but BETA testing has obviously not yet become a cure all for software issues; not even close.

If I am going to apply an update at all, and, again, I do apply most updates, I prefer to wait and see IF all the users who rush to apply updates immediately run into problems. I have found that practice worthwhile unless the update is explicitly referred to as critical or security related. For instance, when 10.5.3 is made available I will try to read what it is supposed to do thoroughly, but I will very likely end up applying such an update pretty quickly.

I don't like to do a whole lot of thinking about what updates to apply, but I also realize the danger in behaving like a "lemming" or blindly applying every single update the software manufacturer throws at me. The majority of the time I should probably install the update, but I do not feel that it is in my best interest to do every single thing Apple says anymore than I feel it is in my best interest to do every thing that most common PC operating system company says. That is why I turn to a number of different forums for advice as well as reading what the manufacturer says.

And I am far more reluctant and careful when it comes to firmware updates.

Incidentally, the very fact of my making the Firmware Restoration CD makes it clear to me that I will probably be applying the recent EFI firmware update at some point. I am preparing for any potential problems I might encounter. But, again, I think I can safely wait a bit to see if other user's report issues and to give myself time to find good descriptive documentation about it, hopefully, from Apple.

6. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

I made a restoration disk as well. You didn't close the session yourself, Disk Utility did that all for you. I made a restoration for my iMac (Firmware Restoration CD 1.4) eventhough there isn't a current EFI update for it, but I'm preparing a CD in case future EFI updates screw up the system.

[​IMG]

You cannot add anymore data on the disc I'm afraid.

7. 030108 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I just thought there might be some third party software that would allow me to add more data to the disc.

I never ever got into the CD burning thing. It has just not been relevant to the way I use my computers. I do not even consider myself into it now.

8. ikm19 macrumors 6502

ikm19

I had mine problems with EFI updates and last thing i know is mine mac beeping. I had no option ratter than going back to apple store and getting it fixed. The Genius (actully Dumb) working there suggested me to replace mine logic board (they took 24 hours to come on a decision like this) and it would take couple of days to do it. so after almost 4 days i got mine mac back. I working late for reinstalling every software i use it and by 3 am i had finished mine work. i kept mine mac for whole night to recharge its battery. The next i know in the morning is it started the same problem beeping and flashing lights. Now i dont know what to do go back again to apple store and ask for repair. I don't know if they would replace or repair mine mac again. Is there any possible way i can get macbook pro i think something is really wrong with current series of macbooks.

This is not mine first mac that has problems. Nor i am newbie to mac.

9. 030108 thread starter macrumors member

This is why. Just like I said.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=5292306&postcount=13
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=468195

I was waiting to hear when you asked me that question. I have heard now and I seriously doubt I am going to do that EFI firmware update 1.2. In fact, I may never do one; we'll see.

I am really not arrogant or cocky, but sometimes I REALLY KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

I am really sorry for the people who are having serious problems with their Macs after doing the recent EFI firmware update 1.2.

10. 030108 thread starter macrumors member

ikm19

Do not put a CD in your Macbook now.

I just want to ask you a question.

Did anyone try to use a "Firmware Restoration CD" on your Macbook?

I am also having a bit of trouble understanding your description. Is English your first language. If it is not I am pretty fluent in a few other languages and maybe we can switch to your language.

I am not a Mac expert, but I have a few other questions as well that, if you can answer for me, might help me understand your situation better.

I will probably not be able to help you though so do not get your hopes up.

What country are you in?

11. ikm19 macrumors 6502

ikm19

No Firmware Restoration Cd didn't worked out.

Currently i am in California. English is not mine first language. If possible we could have a talk in Français, Deutsch, Español, हिन्दी , 漢語, 日本語 or Little bit of Arabic and whatever is easy for you. I can speak English properly but i was too hurry to type it out; so i had no time to check the Grammar or the Spelling mistakes.

12. 030108 thread starter macrumors member

ikm19 are you making posts to the Macrumors forum with the Macbook that you are having problems with?

I did not intend to sound intrusive by asking you about language and location. I wanted to know what time zone you are in and I was thinking about the possibility of sending you the restoration CD I made for myself. It was pretty difficult to follow your post, though.

Of the languages you mentioned I can converse in French, German, or Spanish, but we will stick to English because it is very likely that other forum users might contribute some helpful information as well. Remember, I am certainly no expert ikm19 so do not get your hopes up high. If it becomes clear that I will not succeed in helping, then, I will tell you pretty quickly.

If I continue to have trouble following you in English we might switch to another language via "private message".

You have got to slow down though, because if hurrying is making your posts difficult to understand the same thing will likely happen if we switch languages.

I can follow your last post here better.

I am confused by your earlier post. You said that you were up until 3am reinstalling all of your software. To me you should not have done that until you had a better understanding of the problem. And if the Apple Geniuses could not diagnose your problem while you were there, then, you should not have left it with them in this particular situation. I also thought you could not get your Macbook to power-on after you attempted the EFI update so you have got to say more clearly what your Macbook is doing.

A big problem, in my opinion, is how much of what your Macbook is doing now was actually caused by all the drastic, possibly unnecessary, things you, and maybe the Apple Geniuses, did to it and how much of what it is doing now is a result of your EFI update attempt.

I hope you had everything on your Macbook backed-up before your problems started ikm19, because, if I make any suggestions to you at all, I certainly can not guarantee that you will not lose some or all of your data, etcetera.

ikm19 what do you mean by the Firmware Restoration CD did not work out? Please explain exactly what you mean. Do you still have that firmware restoration CD?

1. Make sure your Macbook's battery is installed properly and that it is properly connected to your AC outlet.

2. Will your Macbook power-on at all? If it does tell me EXACTLY what it is does and EVERYTHING that it does. {If you have an audio recorder, then, record any sounds your Macbook makes when you power it on or try to power it on.}

13. ikm19 macrumors 6502

ikm19

NO I am using PC right now No Macbook for a week :(

Today i got a call from Apple they were happy to replace mine defective MacBook. They also gave me option to go for MacBook pro as i had shown some intrest in it. It will be a paid upgrade and i think i will go for it.

I think something was wrong with the Ram and it caused the firmware upgrade to halt a certain point that means the EFI was able to erase the firmware but due to faulty ram it wasn't able to rewrite it back.

I did try with the cd and it had the same problem.

I current don't have that macbook as it out for replacement so i can't expreiment more on it.

Now just a simple question. Is it possible to restore mine Time Machine backup from Macbook to the new Macbook pro i will be getting it ?

Thanks Everyone.

14. 030108 thread starter macrumors member

First ikm19, I have a simple question I need YOU to answer.

You said:

Was your current Macbook, the one that is broken, running on a restored backup from the Mac that broke in December?