Firmware Suggests New Apple Watch Might Launch in 'Ceramic Gray' and 'Aluminum Blush Gold'

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 9, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Details from the leaked iOS 11 golden master keep on coming today, with 9to5Mac discovering references in the firmware to potential new Apple Watch case colors, which might be announced on Tuesday, September 12. The strings describe an Apple Watch with "Ceramic-Gray" and "AlumBlushGold" colorways, hinting at a new version of the Apple Watch Edition that came out last year in White Ceramic, as well as a new Aluminum Blush Gold for Apple Watch Sport wearers.
    [​IMG]
    Mockup for a "Blush Gold" iPhone via Benjamin Geskin

The so-called "Aluminum Blush Gold" Apple Watch lends further credence to similar nomenclature we've been hearing about a new color coming to the iPhone line. Blush Gold, also referred to as Champagne Gold and Copper Gold previously, is said to be closer to a copper color than the Rose Gold iPhones currently available.

[​IMG]
    The current Apple Watch Edition in White Ceramic

In regards to "Ceramic Gray," last night's original leaked data included a new Apple Watch with a red Digital Crown, but the casing appeared to be an aluminum Space Gray and not the new Ceramic Gray model. Last year, Apple debuted the White Ceramic Apple Watch, priced at $1249 (38mm) and $1299 (42mm), while also discontinuing the Gold Apple Watch Edition models that sold for up to $17,000.

[​IMG]
    Firmware referencing the new Apple Watch colors via 9to5Mac

The leaked data isn't an exact confirmation that a Ceramic Gray and Aluminum Blush Gold Apple Watch will make an appearance at Apple's event on Tuesday. Still, the company traditionally updates the Apple Watch with new collections, colors, casing styles, and bands at these events, so it's likely the "Apple Watch Series 3" will have some kind of new colors for users to choose from.

Article Link: Firmware Suggests New Apple Watch Might Launch in 'Ceramic Gray' and 'Aluminum Blush Gold'

2. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

3. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

4. jonnysods macrumors 601

jonnysods

My mind is blown that the GM was released before Tuesday.

5. mariusignorello macrumors 6502a

This Keynote is ruined. The only thing left at this point is if there’s a “one more thing”.

6. DeadKlau5 macrumors member

i want this wallpaper...please do know someone where i can find and download?

7. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

BTW I hope that gold color on the iPhone has the black bezel like on that mockup instead of white like I've seen on some prototypes. Black bezel FTW.

8. imran5720 macrumors regular

imran5720

So I guess nothing is left for 12th September?

9. fokmik macrumors 65816

KGI said all colours will have black front

10. Avieshek, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017

Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

Ceramic isn't that pricey citing the Essential Phone. And Apple sells a watch in the values of a MacBook Pro in the false excuse of materials being premium.

11. macfacts macrumors 68000

macfacts

Why would iOS need to know the color of the outside of the device? Why do these variables exist?

12. LukasValine macrumors regular

LukasValine

13. fokmik macrumors 65816

one is a solid ceramic watch, essential phone is a thin layer of ceramic

14. Relentless Power, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

A black Ceramic would have me sold. The white Ceramic isn't for me, but the gray Ceramic is more neutral.

15. BSben macrumors 6502a

In the case of iPhones it determines the screen colour when starting up, I suppose there are similar reasons across the range.

16. DeadKlau5 macrumors member

17. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

As someone who is upgrading my Apple Watch, I'm excited for this.

18. garethjs macrumors 6502

I bought a ceramic last year. Wouldn't do it again. Simply not worth it.

People who asked about my Watch thought it was the basic aluminium. It just didn't stand out.

I've had 3 Apple watches. s0 space black SS, s2 space black and s2 Ceramic. The one that had obvious signs of wear and tear was the ceramic... so much for that

A year later came to selling it. Got less than half what I paid for it. Got a better proportionate return from selling my space black.

I'm going to go basic SS this time

19. seatton macrumors 6502

seatton

Why did you say the ceramic had obvious wear and tear. Were you talking about the band?

20. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

I'm curious as what that the ceramic gray will look like.

21. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

22. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

Yeah me too. I bought the ceramic last year but returned it as it looked a bit cheap in white. I should imagine the it will be a dark grey. If I don't like the look of it then I will go fir the black SS if they are still doing that one

23. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

I can’t help but to think Angela Ahrendts had some influence on the new color.

24. dragje macrumors 6502a

dragje

lol :D
    --- Post Merged, Sep 10, 2017 ---
    I've got a question. I'm thinking of buying an Apple Watch, waiting for this Apple Watch 3 that is. Is it wise to go for the grey dark version instead of the silver version? Meaning, does the the furnished dark version has issue with more scratches and grey furnished falling off at some time?

Last, I personally think the Apple Watch is somewhat expensive, is it worth going for the metal version instead of the alum minion cheaper version for, I don't know, maybe durability sake?

I like to use it for sport activities most of the time, then for a clock and getting notifications from my calendar. The new thing option does appeal as well but is no deal breaker I think. I still using an iPhone 6 model with still works fine for me. I hope this Apple Watch 3 will still work alongside my iPhone 6 or does it really needs an upgrade?

Sorry, I've asked more then one question, but if someone could answer this I would be very much thankful for this.

p.s sorry if I sound like a drunk Swedish rabbit but I'm Dutch so I'm not that familiar with the English grammar, in advance my thanks!

25. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Color: it's about personal taste. Personally, I bought the space gray Series 2 because after I saw it with different bands, I found that the muted space gray color matched most of the bands better vs the silver one (for me). I find the silver/gold/rose gold to be too much "bling." But that's personal choice. Some bands do look better with the silver/rose/rose gold, but I found the space gray to be the most neutral and can look fine with all of the bands.

The Apple Watch is actually not expensive. Most Android wear watches are around the same price, maybe slightly less. Considering the AW works a TON better on iOS than any other smartwatches (I used moto 360 with my iPhone for 2 years until I bought the series 2), I can say the starting price of the AW is totally appropriate (at least for the aluminum sports).

I did experience the paint of the sports space gray chipping off for no reason. I managed to get it replaced by Apple (after talking on the phone for hours with their engineers, trying to convince them that this is a defect). I would guess the stainless steel version to be more durable, but it does cost more. Personally, I categorize this as a consumer electronics, so I don't expect it to last forever, thus I picked the aluminum sports version.

The iPhone 5 (which won't support iOS11) is still listed as the minimum requirement for Series 2. Now I'm not sure if Apple would change it with watchOS 4, but I'm sure the iPhone 6 will still support the series 3 (and 4) at the least.