Firmware that addresses thermal throttling for both Mac OS and Windows

hajime

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, I just had a chat with Apple. I mentioned that there were lots of complaints about thermal throttling and Apple only released software fix for Mac OS not Windows. He told me that Apple released a firmware fix on hardware level so that now thermal throttling issues under both Mac OS and Windows are both taken care of. When did it happen? I don't recall readng it.

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2018
macOS High Sierra Supplemental Update 1 and 2. The first one came about a week after the release of the 2018 MBPs, the second one at the end of August. I believe the first one didn't address the throttling issues under Windows yet (but under macOS), so the second one most likely did that.

Reactions: hajime

mr.anthonyramos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2015
Hong Kong
And of course, here is to hoping that additional tweaks were made within the Mojave update. Personally I haven't noticed anything but I am assuming that there should be.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68000
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Supplemental 2 made it behave in windows, though I don't honk there was any official note of his, nor was it widely noticed. But around this time the Mojave betas also included it.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Supplemental 2 made it behave in windows, though I don't honk there was any official note of his, nor was it widely noticed. But around this time the Mojave betas also included it.
I just booted into windows, and my temps shot straight to 100c, AND the fans were not running. I didn't do much in windows, and the temps barely retreated and hung between high 80s and 90s. I opted to re-boot into macOS since my bootcamp is cooking the internals of my MBP. This is why I opted to use VMware instead of bootcamp. I was waiting to delete the bootcamp partition but I suppose there's little reason to keep it now.

fokmik

macrumors 601
Oct 28, 2016
USA
if your temp were around 80-90, still good...but not good if these temp are only on idle and not using the laptop...
I have around 82C using photoshop even after 30-40 min...still, when i run the app, for around 2-3 min the temp are around at 99C, then the fans running at full speed i think, and after few more minutes the temp is set around 82C and the fans around 3200rpm

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
if your temp were around 80-90, still good...but not good if these temp are only on idle and not using the laptop.
My temps in windows on idle were 87c. I waited a few minutes after reboot to see if the temps retreated. What bothered me the most was that I did not hear my fans spin up in windows. In macOS, that's not an issue, in fact once I rebooted back into macOS the fans ramped up to cool the laptop given the high temps :(

iMacDragon

macrumors 68000
Oct 18, 2008
UK
My temps in windows on idle were 87c. I waited a few minutes after reboot to see if the temps retreated. What bothered me the most was that I did not hear my fans spin up in windows. In macOS, that's not an issue, in fact once I rebooted back into macOS the fans ramped up to cool the laptop given the high temps :(
Oh, yes, if you use macs fancontrol in macos with non automatic settings it seems to completely break fans in windows, I recall noticing. If it's put back on auto, then they work normally in bootcamp.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68000
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Ohhh, I didn't know this. When I get another chance to reboot into windows, I'll test that out. Thanks for the heads up
Yeah, not quite sure who's bug this should be more counted as.. basically I think the SMC in T2 behaves differently to older ones in more ways than realised.. workaround would probably be for macs fan control to implement a reset to auto on shutdown if they can.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Yeah, not quite sure who's bug this should be more counted as.. basically I think the SMC in T2 behaves differently to older ones in more ways than realised.. workaround would probably be for macs fan control to implement a reset to auto on shutdown if they can.
That did it, I now see my temps in the 50c range doing little work, where as I was hitting 92c in windows :)

Reactions: hajime
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.