Firmware to brighten 17 uniMBP on the way

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macrumorsmick, Feb 26, 2009.

1. macrumorsmick macrumors newbie

I went into Apple store today to check out 17 uniMBP.

The guy next to me was doing the same thing. I told him I had read it was dimmer than my wife's 15 uniMBP. As we talked, we began to compare them in the store. We both agreed the new 17 was darker. It seems to also be bluer.

One of the sales guys came up, and he was surprised by our observation. However, I have gotten to know the guy who sold me my wife's computer. So I also spoke to him. He said he saw a memo sent from Apple corporate today that states a firmware update will go out next week to correct this issue. He has always be a very frank no BS kind of guy so I am inclined to believe him.

So, hopefully, a brighter 17 inch uniMBP screen is in our future. :)
    I sure hope he is right. I love the brightness of my wife's 15.

Mick

2. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

I don't have a problem with the display's brightness...

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I can confirm this is the case but i cant say how, however i've mentioned it on a few other threads here.

4. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

This is an odd thing, really. I can't imagine Apple puts a governor on the display brightness...but maybe they do. What I do know is that when the new 15" MBPs came out, from talking to the folks at the Apple Store, they said customers were much more concerned about how "wicked bright" the displays were vs. the reflections from the glare of the glass screen....almost in a complainy way...

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Wicked bright? :p wtf?!?! :p A lot of people complained to Apple about the Unibody 15" being too bright, so they set the firmware brightness setting on the 17" when on maximum to be about 2 levels below the 15"

God knows why people complained, its a simple case of pressing one button to make it dimmer.

6. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Hey, I'm from Boston. Things here are wicked pissah.

Yeah it sounded to me like the store folks received a lot of complaints that the screens were too bright...after all I think Apple had to have them at maximum brightness to overcome some of the glare from the store lighting.

I know that on my new 17" MacBook Pro, the headphone jack can be cranked up deafeningly loud, so I know that Apple has put governors on sound before so it's entirely possible they have done the same to screen brightness.

7. kabunaru Guest

Also, on the same note, why not release a firmware that corrects the blacks on the screen as well for the MacBook?

8. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Huh? If I understand you correctly, I don't think that's possible. It's limitation of the display. The display used in the MacBook has much lower viewing angles and color gamut than the MacBook Pros. It's nothing a firmware update could correct.

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

My brightness is still as I got it. I just don't like how my screen flickers sometimes under the battery.

10. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

Speak for yourself. I took two 15" unibodies back because of their light bleed-riddled screens.
    Now I have a perfect 17" with no bleed and perfectly strong brightness levels. I don't care if it is capable of being pushed to a notch brighter or less bright than the 15" – all I care about is that it is a perfect match for the very bright Apple LED display it is paired with, which it is. The 15" units I had did not come nearly as close as the 17" to matching the 24" LED display's quality of image.
    I haven't yet used the top two brightness levels of the 17" indoors or out and doubt I ever will. This is a total non-issue, created by wafflers who are apparently doing a test for those non-existent people who plan to use a 17" and 15" side by side without ever adjusting the brightness controls of either. Utter drivel.

11. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

You don't know much about computers, do you?

How could they physically replace all the low quality screens from the thousands of sold Unibody Macbooks?

12. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I smell BS. Even the last gen 15" vs. 17" the 17" mbp was a notch dimmer even with both having led backlighting.

I didnt find the 17" mbp that much dimmer than the 15" in the previous gen but it was definitely dimmer but it wasnt bad in any way. The 17" hi res was still deeper in colors, sharper and overall the better screen.

I think sometimes brighter isnt better.

13. macrumorsmick thread starter macrumors newbie

You may be right

It might be BS, but the Apple store guy who told me has always seemed to be a straight shooter. He said it in a very matter of fact way like "oh yea we know about that issue all ready and a fix is on the way."

Is brighter better? Maybe not, but I like the option to crank up the brightness if I need it to counteract glare. I may not need the power most the time, but it is nice to have available in case I do need it. If you like it dimmer, then couldn't you just turn it down?;)

14. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I guess I'm just skeptical since I never really trust what an apple employee tells me especially with rumors. I know he's a great guy and all but who knows what rumors he might have heard.

Anyway, this is a very first I've ever heard about a firmware update just to get a higher backlighting. I thought this wasnt even possible to begin with and that certain specifications to the backlighting level would already be physically limited.

I guess the only way to know is that we would just have to wait and see.

15. jmark macrumors member

I noticed this evening in the downtown SF Apple Store, the display model of the 17-inch unibody seemed to have an incorrect installation of the OS on it:

1) the Energy Saver preference was an old-fashioned "light bulb' icon, not the "flourescent" icon normally found for the newest MacBook Pro's;

2) the function keys for the keyboard lighting didn't work at all (a little circle-slash showed up on the screen where you'd normally see the "level" indication displayed)

Next to the 15-inch, that display 17-inch definitely looked dimmer (and bluer) when set to maximum brightness.

Wondering if perhaps incorrect OS configuration might be affecting the brightness on the display models? I definitely noted that (compared to the 15-inch unibody I exchanged for the 17) a clean install of the OS on the 17-inch from its OS disk results in a fair number of newer .kext files (both date and version) as compared to what I had on the 15...

16. Hydroxs macrumors regular

The keyboard lighting only works when the room is dim enough.

17. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Really they want to make it brighter? my 17 is already burning my retinas at full brightness. I keep it around 75-80%

18. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

Exactly. The screen on mine is the finest I've ever seen on a laptop and as bright as I could possibly want. I'm sure 99.9% of others are the same.
    As of this moment, over 500 people have read this misleading thread and have been given the false impression that the 17" screen is "dim".
    Ridiculous.

19. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

Did your clean install result in any differences to the pre-installed 17" software, or the OS you observed on the 17" at the store?

I'd expect all to be the same.

20. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

If you download Labtick though, you can have it on all the time :) It's totally pointless when it's actually bright enough, but I just like having it on whenever I'm using the computer.

21. jmark macrumors member

I didn't check the versions of the .kext files at the store.

I was comparing the versions I have from my previous 15-inch Unibody (still have that installation backed up onto an external drive here) and the new 17-inch.

Just thought it was interesting, because (before exchanging it for the 17) the 15 had all the most recent Software Updates applied...

22. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

I bet the store guys cloned the computer with the image from the 15" unibodys thinking that they would work on the 17...nay nay...

I read someone on the Apple Discussion forums swapped their drive from their 15" into their 17" complaining of a dim screen. It was until he re-installed the system software that he got the correct brightness.

23. macrumorsmick thread starter macrumors newbie

That is good to here

I certainly did not mean to mislead anybody.

I am just offering the observation that the 17 is obviously darker than the 15. I think most would agree. I also simply relayed a comment made by an Apple employee that said the corporation had decided to release an update to make the 17 brighter. This would imply Apple thinks it is an issue.

In the brightly lit Apple store, the 17 looks a little dull/dark, but I am glad to here you think it does look very bright in a darker environment. The adequacy of the brightness levels is hard to judge in the bright lighting of the store. :)

I will admit we do not typical crank up my wife's 15 all the way because that is too bright in our home environment.:)

Mick