Firmware Update 4.1.7 question.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Serge N Gin, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Serge N Gin macrumors member

Serge N Gin

Hi,

I have an iBook G3 (Panther) giving me probs and I want to connect it to my Intel iMac (10.4.10) using TDM and Disc Utility to zero out the Physical Volume of the iBook so I can reinstall Panther using TDM, but from a PPC iMac.

My concern is that the necessary Firmware Update 4.1.7 that I applied prior to upgrading the iBook from 9.2.2 to Panther, will be wiped along with the Physical Volume??? Or maybe it won't?

Can I even use Disc Utility on an Intel Mac to zero the iBooks HD? Or do I need a PPC iMac?

I don't want to reinstall Panther on the iBook if the Firmware Update has been removed as I know this is not a good move.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The firmware update should remain. However you won't be able to run the Panther installer from the Intel Mac, even if the intent is to install onto a PowerPC machine. Can you not directly boot from your Panther discs on the iBook?

3. Serge N Gin thread starter macrumors member

Serge N Gin

The HD on the iBook has been zeroed using Target Disc Mode and when I boot from the Panther install disc holding the Option Key the process seems to just hang when I click on the forward arrow once the Panther Disc appears highlighted ????

[​IMG]

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you ever been able to boot this machine from these Panther discs? Are they the retail version of Panther? :)

5. Serge N Gin thread starter macrumors member

Serge N Gin

Yes, I upgraded the iBook G3 from 9.2.2 straight to Panther using these discs (Full Retail Version) but after buying/installing a RAM module I'm left with a huge mess to clean up and the iBook is not mine either.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, so what were the problems that made you need a reinstall in the first place?... Perhaps they'll hold the key as to why this isn't working.

7. Serge N Gin thread starter macrumors member

Serge N Gin

I had a new RAM module from a 3rd Party Vendor that arrived and when I installed it and rebooted, all I've seen since is the Flashing Folder/?.

I took the new RAM out but even booting off the onboard 64mb doesn't help. I also have the original 128mb module I was replacing and that won't boot the iBook either .... to say I've tried nearly everything is pretty spot on, mate! I'm in Tassie BTW!

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I won't hold that against you. :p

So the drive came up in Target Disk Mode... Do you have access to another Mac that can run the Panther installer (PowerPC)?