Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

siggi-anton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2013
Germany
Hello MacRumors

i have a Macpro 1.1 with a new ATI 5870, 2 x 2,66 DC Xeon X5150, 21GB Ram, OS X Lion 10.7.5,

I want to Upgrade the Mac with 2 x 2,66 QC X5355. I download the Tool form netkas http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,1094.0.html and start to upgrade the firmware, but when i restart the macpro i see all the time only macpro 1.1, not 2.1.

Did anybody know what i do wrong with that Firmwareupgrade?

Bildschirmfoto 2016-02-05 um 00.58.10.png

Thanks for our help.

Last edited:

owbp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
OS X Lion 10.8.5
Hi! Do you have Lion (10.7.5) or 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion)?

Not sure if you can upgrade firmware running ML...?
Did you follow through the instructions?
- Shut down your Mac
- Turn it on and hold power button for as long the status light starts flashing and/or you hear a long beep
- Did you see status bar of the updater?

I've upgraded and downgraded once without any problems, except for high temperatures after first upgrade...:(
That's why i did downgrade and second upgrade.:)

I really don't remember if i did it in OS X 10.6.8 or 10.7.5 though.

OIhZOKv.png

the bug

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2014
I did my 1,1 to 2,1 a couple of years ago, and vaguely remember something about Apple changing the url for the actual firmware update file which the Netkas patch tries to download.

I ended up searching for the 2,1 firmware update on the Apple support site, and downloading it to the desktop before running the Netkas patch.

If you have the correct firmware update and the Netkas patch both on your desktop, the patch program should see it and not need to download anything from Apple's site.

Also IIRC, there was a small run of 1,1 machines that had a somewhat rare/strange firmware version, that caused problems with this patch.

I had no problems, but I think if you have the oddball firmware version, there as an answer somewhere in that thread where somebody figured out how to modify the Netkas patch to work.

Hopefully this is of some help. as I'm going from memory here and my memory is not what it used to be , but the answers are all there in that thread you referenced.

Here is mine after I did the ROM and SMC :
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro2,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number of Processors: 2
Total Number of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per Processor): 8 MB
Memory: 10 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP21.007F.B06
SMC Version (system): 1.15f3

Hopefully this helps.

- Jay

siggi-anton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2013
Germany
I did find the solution:

It was the Original Firmware. My Firmware was to new to work with the First netkas Update. I search in the netkasforum and find a newer Update that work proper. Now i have a macpro 2.1 . And now with 2 Xeon QC cpu's in. Thanks a lot to all. Especially "the bug". You give me the right tip.

It's solved

Last edited:

dagacar88

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2017
I did find the solution:

It was the Original Firmware. My Firmware was to new to work with the First netkas Update. I search in the netkasforum and find a newer Update that work proper. Now i have a macpro 2.1 . And now with 2 Xeon QC cpu's in. Thanks a lot to all. Especially "the bug". You give me the right tip.

It's solved
Hello siggi-anton:

Can you point out to the thread that solved your problem?

Thank you.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Hello siggi-anton:

Can you point out to the thread that solved your problem?

Thank you.

The thread he posted is the correct one for the utility.

It sounds like he was flashing the 1,1 firmware repeatedly onto his computer, so of course it never changed to a 2,1. The solution was to get the 2,1 firmware from Apple and flash the 1,1 with it.

A lot of people have problems because the utility tries to download it from Apple at a fixed URL, but that URL has changed. The workaround is to download the firmware yourself from Apple and save the file to the desktop. Then the flashing utility will use it from there instead.

I think you will also need Snow Leopard or newer, and a graphics card with Mac EFI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.