Firmware update=no quicktime sound

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TooL314, Jan 21, 2010.

1. TooL314 macrumors newbie

Hello and thanks for taking the time out to read this. I just updated my firmware to stop the noise made when waking from sleep. (I have a macbook 2.4 GHz core 2, 4gb ddr3, OS X 10.62 and i believe the update was EFI firmware 1.4) I am in medical school and I watch kaplan review videos on quicktime 7.6.3 so that I have the a/v controls to adjust playback speed. I just updated and now the videos have no sound on quicktime 7 or the new version. Itunes works fine for music as does my browsers, and the files work fine when I use VLC player (which works, I suppose but I'd like to have my quicktime player back too). I use perian for the filters and whatnot and i just checked and it is up to date. I tried restarting my computer twice. One very strange additional thing that is possibly of relevance is that when I right click the files to choose "open with" the icons for quicktime player, vlc, etc all don't have their usual symbols on them, the look like they are word documents. than after i open the file with whatever, they go back to normal unless I restart my computer again. Very strange. Please help if possible, it is greatly appreciated.

2. TooL314 thread starter macrumors newbie

I realize now that it is only avi files so far that have the problem. I also checked and i installed a bonjour update which i dont need since i dont have bonjour. so i feel that that update may nave been the culprit. how do i remove that update?

3. Queso macrumors G4

Firstly, have you done the simple troubleshooting steps such as a Permissions Repair? That will probably sort out the file icon issues. Use Disk Utility in the Utilities menu for that one.

Do the AVI files play with sound in VLC or are they mute in that too?