firmware update..?..... please help..

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bob2131, Sep 30, 2008.

1. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

hi, im gonna use bootcamp
    the manual says, to update mac system software....AND update computer firmware.

i know i can check the software update from the apple menu and software updater thing.

but about the firmware...how do i know what firmware i have got already?
    on the macbook page on apple site theres firmware updates for various things... how do i know what firmeare i have already??? shall i just download all the firmware things i can find??

i know leopard upgrages affect other apps....does firmware updates have affects on installed apps also?????

thankyou

2. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

right ive found the firmware help/about page on apple site....

if you just download and open the installer, it tells you anyway if you need it.

BUT WILL FIRMWARE UPDATES HAVE ANY KIND OF NEGATIVE OR BAD AFFECTS ON OTHER APPLCIATIONS???? (like leopard upgrades always affect software.....)

if i install a firmware update....and bad things happen........can i go back to the old firmware version????

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Firmware updates appear in the Software Update program. If nothing shows up then you're on the latest firmware. You cannot go to a lower firmware once you upgrade, and it doesn't screw anything up unless you shut your computer down in the middle of it.

And one last thing, calm down. Nothing bad is going to happen.
    It would help if you told us what computer you're using and how old it is.

4. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

oh....so its not a separate thing from the software updater?
    the one in the apple menu........ that listes software and firmware needed, if needed?

something bad ALWAYS happens. trust me.
    im using brand new top spec black macbook.

im getting ready to bootcamp that bad boy.......

so shall i leave the firmware updates on apple site?

bootcamp manual says to update mac software........and then update firmware///.......why cant they just say run software updateer and see what it says??????!!!

yeah i need to calm down.........thanks.

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Its brand new man......
    You don't need a firmware update. Not to mention, if you don't know what you're doing then the LAST thing you should begin to mess with is firmware. I don't care if we're talking about your electric shaver. Screwing up firmware is very bad.

But anyway, installing BootCamp should be fine. Although to use it it requires that you use proper capitalization and grammar ;)

6. bob2131 thread starter macrumors 6502a

-dude, bootcamp manual says to update firmware....
    - yeah ill be careful

so it would just show up in my software updater?
    apple say even if i try to install some firmware, and i already have it....it will tell me this....

lol
    yeah sorry about my writing style....i write fast and to the point....im happy with it....sorry if it rubs people up the wrong way. i mean well....:)