iPad Firmware upgrade questions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sfphoto, May 11, 2012.

1. sfphoto, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012

sfphoto macrumors regular

2. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

i know im not answering the question, but if you dont mind me asking. What is the point of preserving the baseband on an Ipad?? idk i thought basebands were only good for unlocks??

3. sfphoto, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012

sfphoto thread starter macrumors regular

Future JB might be nice - don't know if that involves baseband.

Do not want to end up with iOS 5.1

Found the 4.2.1 firmware is over 500mg. Any idea how long I need to allow for this to write to the iPad?

4. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

well i believe using the latest version of redsn0w you can. go to the "more" section. then go to "even more" click "restore" click "ipsw" and point it to the right firmware

5. sfphoto thread starter macrumors regular

The current baseband is 6.15

Phone Wiki says that 4.2.1 uses baseband 7.10

So not sure if installing 4.2.1 would change the baseband and if that is would be a problem if I wanted to JB at a later date.

6. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

iPads are always "unlocked" so updating BB doens't matter, it's not tied to a certain carrier.

Updating the firmware does update the BB, you can however make a NO_BB custom IPSW to upgrade with redsn0w, but it isn't necessary.

Why don't you want to upgrade to 5.1? There is a tethered jailbreak out for 5.1 and the untethered one is only weeks away.

Always save your SHSH's for current and future firmwares, using TinyUmbrella for that is easy.

7. sfphoto thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the BB information.

I saw the inst. for redsn0w no_bb but having never done any of this before wanted to go the simplest route with least likelyhood of error (i.e. brick).

Posts by users here say the original iPad runs slow with 5 and the 4 is the best.

8. ivinz Suspended

THis is not true as far as my personal experience goes