Firmware won't restore (after FanControl removal)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sweedigel, May 16, 2008.

1. sweedigel macrumors member

sweedigel

Hi,

I've a big problem here.
    Firt of all I wanted to remove FanControl from my macbookpro3,1. I followed the uninstall instructions on their site, but now my fans are stuck at 2000rpm all the time, even when the cpu becomes hot (70°).
    I did a reset of the PRAM and the SMC, still the same.
    I downloaded and burned the apple firmware restoration cd http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/firmwarerestorationcd17.html, I followed the instructions as well, but their is no way to start the restoration !
    When I turn on the mbp holding the power button, the led do NOT blink rapidly, then slowly, then rapidly. It just blink rapidly, no more. Nevermind, while it blink I insert the CD i burned, but nothing happen and mac os starts.

Could someone help ? Any help would be MUCH appreciated :(

2. MacDaddy08 macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

Why did you want to remove the fan control?

You need to install your fan control back onto your Macbook Pro. Here is an install link to SMCFanControl. I would install this first and then reboot your machine and try installing the firmware update again. As far as I know, to update the firmware you install the firmware update then shutdown. Hold the power button down, the light should blink rapidly. Keep it held down until you hear a tone coming from the MBP and then it should reboot and the firmware installation status bar should start.

Try that out and see what happens. If all else fails, backup your stuff, reformat and reinstall. Then try the firmware update from scratch.

Good luck and keep us posted.

3. sweedigel thread starter macrumors member

sweedigel

Actually my firmware was already up to date, but FanControl write in the firm when you install it. To resolve my problem, i read that i need to restore the firmware, and the only way do to that is the apple restoration cd. I burned it and tryed more than 15 times to run it, but no way it doesn't work.

4. MacDaddy08 macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

try inserting the CD and restarting. Hold down the option button as soon as you hear the Apple tone and keep it held until it comes up with the option of where to boot. It should say the name of you main hard drive and hopefully the restore CD as well. if it does, pick to boot to the restore CD and try that.

Hopefully that helps.

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

this is the wrong procedure for firmware restoration.

from apple's site:
    # Next, use the Firmware Restoration CD to restore your Firmware:

# Make sure that the computer you are trying to restore is plugged into an AC outlet.
    # Turn on the computer and continue holding the Power button. The sleep LED will blink rapidly, then slowly, then rapidly (3 quick blinks, 3 slow blinks, 3 quick blinks).

On Macs that don't have a sleep LED, tones are used instead. Hold down the power button until you hear 3 long tones, then 3 short tones, then 3 long tones.

On Macs that use a tray-load optical drive, the tray will open to allow the Restoration CD to be inserted.

# Insert the Firmware Restoration CD while the lights are blinking or tones sounding, then release the Power button. A long tone is played once the recovery process has started.

A progress bar appears beneath an Apple logo on a gray screen. The progress bar indicates the firmware is being updated. Do not disconnect power, shut down, or restart the computer during the update or you will need to start the restoration process again beginning with step 6.

6. astrosyt macrumors member

the fans always stays at 2000 rpm when temperature is only 70 C !!!

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Did you do a PRAM reset? (CMD-OPT-P-R)

If you did and it still doesn't fix it, how hot does you CPU get? I know my fans don't kick in until 75-80 degrees.

8. sweedigel thread starter macrumors member

sweedigel

Yes I did. I tested how hot it get by viewing a flash video while encoding an h264 movie. It reached almost 90°C during about 30 seconds until I stopped all. Always 2000rpm.

9. sweedigel thread starter macrumors member

sweedigel

nobody know another way to restore the firmware ?

10. sweedigel thread starter macrumors member

sweedigel

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Have you tried going to the Apple Store and set up a Genius bar appointment?

12. sweedigel thread starter macrumors member

sweedigel

Actually there is no apple store in france yet.
    I would try to resolve the problem by myself without sending my macbookpro to apple, or an apple revendor.