First 5G iPhone Shipments Won't Include OLED Panels From BOE Due to Validation Failure

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple was hoping to use OLED panels sourced from display manufacturer BOE for some of the iPhone models coming in 2020, but BOE will not be a supplier for the first batch of panel shipments for the new iPhones due to manufacturing issues.

According to DigiTimes, BOE has failed to secure Apple's validation for the OLED screens.

Apple is planning to release four OLED iPhones this year, measuring in at 5.4 inches, 6.1 inches (x2), and 6.7 inches. The 5.4-inch iPhone and one 6.1-inch model will be positioned as more affordable successors to the iPhone 11, while the other 6.1-inch iPhone and the 6.7-inch model will be "Pro" devices that follow the iPhone 11 Pro.

Samsung Display will be the major OLED panel supplier for all of the new iPhones, while BOE and LG Display were developing OLED screens for the entry-level 6.1-inch iPhone model. BOE is working out the quality issues impacting its manufacturing and is hoping to begin shipping OLED panels to Apple in the fourth quarter of 2020.

LG Display will pick up the slack and plans to ramp up shipments for the 6.1-inch model, shipping 23 to 25 million units up from the 18 to 23 million originally planned. Samsung Display is expected to ship 18 to 20 million units for the 5.4-inch iPhone, 16 to 18 million for the higher-end 6.1-inch iPhone, and 22 to 24 million units for the high-end 6.7-inch iPhone.

BOE's failure should not have a significant impact on the release date of Apple's 2020 iPhones as Apple can rely on Samsung Display and LG Display. Other factors may somewhat delay this year's iPhone lineup, and there have been rumors suggesting some or all of the iPhones could be announced in September and launched later, perhaps in October.

BOE began volume manufacturing flexible OLED panels in 2019, but its yield rate barely reaches around 20 percent at the current time, which Apple is unable to work with.
BOE is now trying to improve its yield rate by combining the front-end process of its B7 fab and the backend process of the B11 line, indicated the sources, noting that the B7 fab, also located in Sichuan, kicked off volume production in 2017 and has since ramped up its yield rate to about 70-80% recently.
If BOE's efforts to improve yield rate are successful, it could ship somewhere around two million OLED panels to Apple in 2020, but that's a best case scenario.

DigiTimes' report confirms rumors from earlier in June that suggested BOE had failed to deliver its first shipment of OLED panels for Apple's iPhone 12 due to an inability to pass OLED quality control tests.

Article Link: First 5G iPhone Shipments Won't Include OLED Panels From BOE Due to Validation Failure

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
As much as I don’t trust digitatimes for consistency with credibility, I believe this rumor to be accurate. If BOE’s panels don’t meet Apple calibrations in terms of quality control, then they absolutely shouldn’t be used. Samsung has proven very reliable since Apples transition with OLED panels since the 2017 iPhone X, now with LG being a secondary supplier.

JPack

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2017
Same situation LG was in 2018. But nice to know BOE is a supplier for the Watch so Apple isn't sole sourcing for OLED.

one more

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
It's not good for Apple since they also try to lower the cost.
They can lower the cost by excluding the EarPods and charger bricks, as rumoured. Besides, considering the sheer number of panels they will be buying from Samsung, they should be able to get a price they are happy with. And let’s not forget that Apple is the world’s richest tech company and people usually pay premium for the latest tech, as it was with iPhone X.

jayducharme

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
October seems so far away right now. I'm looking forward to the new 5.4" model. I still think my 8 is one of the most beautiful pieces of industrial design Apple has ever produced. But I'm looking forward to an upgrade.

Reactions: xpxp2002 and CarlJ

djdeepv

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2017
Bummer, I had wanted the 6.1 iPhone 12, debating if I should get the 5.4 instead now for the Samsung screen.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
If Apple chooses to announce some phones in September, then throw in an announcement for true 'pro' phones n October or later.. I would be very disappointed. Would prefer Apple to just announce everything in September and take their time to release later in the year.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I was a little concerned about that when this no-name BOE was supposedly making OLED displays. Good to see that Apple is keeping Samsung and LG. Hopefully going forward the Pro models will always keep Samsung or LG since they make incredible displays. I love my LG C9 OLED TV, and the Apple-tweaked Samsung OLED display in the iPhone Pro is unmatched.

Reactions: b656

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2019
If Apple chooses to announce some phones in September, then throw in an announcement for true 'pro' phones n October or later.. I would be very disappointed. Would prefer Apple to just announce everything in September and take their time to release later in the year.
lol! You’d prefer other people not get theirs on time just because you want everything to come out at once, and you don’t see how that’s mindblowingly selfish? Lol!

Unless I’ve misread your comment that’s what its sounding like.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
So if one chooses to purchase an iPhone 12 Pro, how does one avoid/reject a BOE screen? Any clue on which model numbers will have this junko screen?

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2019
So if one chooses to purchase an iPhone 12 Pro, how does one avoid/reject a BOE screen? Any clue on which model numbers will have this junko screen?
sounds like the only guarantee would be buying it on launch date while BOE is still fixing their stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.