First Aid Failed: Filesystem verify or repair failed (help!)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by theLemur, May 2, 2009.

1. theLemur macrumors regular

I had a bootcamp partition for windows, but windows crapped out on me and gave some nasty blue screens. I deleted the partition and went to re-create it, but I encountered error messages which prompted me to run disk utility.

In disk utility, the repair disk button was greyed out. I ran the verify disk function, but errors that look like THIS occurred. I then started from the OS install disk, but when I try to repair the disk, it tells me that it can't unmount the disk.

Any ideas?

2. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

BSOD on a Mac running Windows?

Oh wow. I would die.

3. theLemur thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks I will read through that help article tonight and try what it says.

As far as the BSOD... well, it doesn't surprise me that a microsoft product lead to the failure of my mac :)

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

This happened to me actually, it was because the Mac operating system couldn't mount the NTFS formatted bootcamp partition and check it because it needs write permissions which it doesnt have. I installed NTFS-3G and MacFUSE (both free obviously) then when i restarted it automatically asked me if id like to force mount, which i did, then everything worked fine.

5. theLemur thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I will try those today and report back!

6. theLemur thread starter macrumors regular

Woohoo! that fixed the problem! Thanks so much guys. I would have never figured that out on my own. Now if I could only figure out why my cd burner will no longer function :( lol

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

What Mac do you have? And what did you last do before it stopped working?

What software do you have on your computer than can burn disks?

8. theLemur thread starter macrumors regular

I have a Macbook from early 2008. It's hard to recall what I might have done before it stopped working. At first it was just burning cd's that my car wouldnt play, but now it gives a few different error messages. When I search the messages on the forum, most people say its a hardware issue.

I have tried many different versions of Toast. I suppose I should try something else just to make sure! Someone also said to blow compressed air into it, and that it could be dirty, so ill give that a shot too.

9. gajwani macrumors newbie

@theLemur
    how did u do it? m facing the same problem at the moment but when i boot with os x, i dont know exactly what to do.
    could u help me here?

10. theLemur thread starter macrumors regular

Since this was over a year ago I dont remember the specifics, I believe I following the instructions included in this thread.

11. gajwani macrumors newbie

i just repaired my mac using the disk utility in the os x and now m restoring with the help of winclone. hope this works.
    fingers crossed. thanks for your post :)