First airplane trip with iPad!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by random person, Apr 17, 2010.

1. random person macrumors 6502a

Well I am typing this while on a delta flight trying to get to some hot weather in tucson. Go go inflight wifi works like a charm! But I have had some glitches today.

First at the airport my fancy boingo credits service wouldn't recognize me or log me in.

In flight i found that abc streaming won't work because it thinks I am international! Similarly netflix streaming won't work, and the iTunes app store can't be accessed. So some of the dreamy uses I had in mind aren't going to work. Sigh.

Still I am listening to beethoven while surfing the web and getting ready to watch a movie in the device. Already read some if the wsj etc.

I am pretty much in heaven right now even though some things do not work as expected!

And this is fruit tune ever that I am going on vacation without a computer.

About the only thing I continue to dislike about the iPad is the infernal on-screen keyboard. Either I'm inaccurate or I am slowed to a crawl. That said, I love this puppy!

2. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

3. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

Hah, this made me laugh.

4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Alex from Diggnation said recently that he accessed Netflix via Virgin’s in-flight Wi-fi. So, I guess it depends on the airline.

5. ClaireL macrumors 6502a

ClaireL

6. below sea level macrumors member

I took my first flights with the iPad last week.

The highlight was when I was going through security - the TSA officer looked at the screen, then looked at me... and said "how do you like the iPad?" :)

7. Fran-tastic macrumors member

Fran-tastic

Sorry but...

aren't people supposed to turn devices to airplane mode while flying?

8. JCT macrumors 6502

Not when there is on-board WiFi.

JT

9. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Clearly, turning on WiFi is OK on flights that offer WiFi service.

/Jim

10. random person thread starter macrumors 6502a

:p
    :p gotta love autofill! I meant to type "first time" not "fruit tune."

Haha!

Just watched an episode of V and used my total bighead amp connected to the line out of the iPad. Unbelievable sounds, especially explosions! Of course it helps with the music too!

11. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I made my first flight with my iPad a week ago as well (4/10). It was a relatively short (Oregon - Wash DC - Orlando) flight... so the battery had no problems lasting all day. During the first flight, I watched a full length movie, played a few sudoku games, organized my icons, and read a book for a while. It was on for most of the flight. On the second shorter leg, the person next to me was fascinated, so she dominated my time demonstrating how the iPad worked. When I landed in Orlando, I still had over 70% of my battery life remaining.

/Jim

12. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

As a TSO for TSA, I am glad this isn't a rant about some ignorant officer giving you the third degree for not taking it out of your bag. Sure it happens too often, but some of us know how to do our job while providing friendly customer service. If you come through at my airport with one though, you will be asked questions (I'm overly anxious to get one myself).

*Remember flyers, if you are asked to take your iPad out of your bag, don't throw a fit. Even though you are not required to, if there is too much clutter in your bag the X-Ray operator may need to have it cleared up. It's quicker for all of us to have it separated and X-Rayed then to have to do a bag search.

13. calebz macrumors newbie

Some might call that a Freudian slip there, mister. ;) :D

I'm afraid I'll have to confiscate it for a bit and check for white prints on it.:p

14. wesrk macrumors 6502a

Welcome to Tucson!

15. glowrider macrumors regular

I took mine to Italy last week. 8 hours of video, no wifi, 85% brightness...

Only used about 45% of the battery - un-frickin-believable. Not nearly as good on the return flight when I was using apps and whatnot, but damn, with just video I think I'll certainly be able to use it for my long flights to Asia.

16. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I took mine on a flight last week along with my MBP.. I didn't even touch the MBP! I used my iPad on the flight from LA to to philadelphia and didn't even use 25% of the battery! My biggest problem was figuring out what to do! There is so much to do!

One other problem I had was that the iPad didn't want to connect to the Philadelphia airport wireless. It recognized it but wouldn't connect.

All in all I won't be taking my MBP on travel any longer, especially since I use desktop connect.

17. cipher29 macrumors regular

I travel EXTENSIVELY for work and I have a love hate relationship with my iPad.. Great mobile device, but, the wifi SUCKS. I have yet to get it to work on any hotel wifi (always finds the network, but, never actually works). I've had it work in 1 airport.

I know this is isn't just mine as a colleague has had the exact same experience with his. There is some sort of issue the iPad has with certain types of proxy servers that prevents it from connecting properly.

For anyone in Canada, the iPad does not work in the Maple Leaf Lounges wifi (tried it in Edmonton, Ottawa and Calgary). Again, it connects no problem, but, safari refuses to redirect to proxy page to allow me to accept the terms and conditions and actually connect.

That said, the iPad is awesome on planes. I love reading on it, and it's perfect for magazines etc.

I just hope they fix the wifi issues.. I have had no connectivity issues once connected like other people have complained about.

18. Tech-Boy macrumors regular

All the flight issues can be fixed if you set up a vpn on your home computer. SSH tunnel

19. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Can't wait for my 3G iPad. I am absolutely shocked that the battery life is living up to expectations; I have a few trips coming up starting with a road trip at the end of the month and having my iPad work the whole way is going to be amazing.

20. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Something tells me the battery life on the 3G iPad is not going to be as "magical", especially if you get the unlimited data plan... ;)

21. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

If it stays true to the nine hours that I've heard, that's fine by me. :cool:

22. freddy425 macrumors regular

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but I was wondering if you could pair your apple wireless keyboard via Bluetooth with your iPad? I don't know if your allowed to do that or not so just wondering if someone knew.

Cheers

23. munckee macrumors 65816

Yes, the standard BT keyboard can be paired, from everything I've heard.

24. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

You also do not need to turn you phone off at the doctors office or in a hospital. The time I have been there the nurses and staff are all using their cell phones. Just be polite and if you are having a conversation with someone, do not use your phone the same time. I can't tell you how often I will see someone waiting in line and talking on their phone and when it is their turn they will not hang up the phone.

No wonder "they" ask us to turn off our phone!

Most I will do is put it on silent/vibrate but I do not turn off my phone for anyone"

25. freddy425 macrumors regular

Thanks! Appreciate the info