First appearance of iAd ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by claudiodsf, May 24, 2010.

1. claudiodsf macrumors newbie

I've just noticed this test banner by Quattro Wireless on the Italian version of the Eurosport app.

Tapping on it doesn't quit the app but rather it pulls down a page with information for advertisers, publishers and developers.

Most interestingly, tapping on a link, the new page appears through a fancy "cube" effect.

Finally, by tapping on "Close", the page pulls up, returning back to the app.

Is that the kind of enriched advertisements promised by iAd ?

Attached Files:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Doubtful because apple isn't approving any apps that use the beta sdk.

3. phpman macrumors newbie

I also saw this Test Banner on the German version of the Eurosport app.

Although Apple bought Quattro Wireless you get an HTML Site with Flash if you "click here" under "Contact Us".

4. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

5. claudiodsf thread starter macrumors newbie

3.1.2, but it is the first time I see a banner like this.

While I agree that the iAd SDK is yet to be distributed, I see no obvious reason on why it shouldn't already work on client-side: in the end it is a Safari (or WebKit) page which opens inside the app (already possible) and that displays html, 3D CSS (http://webkit.org/blog/386/3d-transforms/), and javascript

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

it shouldn't work because 3.1.2 isn't designed to handle iAd as the api is 4.0 ONLY it doesn't exist in 3.1 firmware

7. claudiodsf thread starter macrumors newbie

According to this (http://www.hhcc.com/blog/?p=2726) it is not a new API but rather a combination of HTML5 and JavaScript.

I'm not saying that what I saw is the "full" iAd. I'm just saying that it's the first time I see an ad with features similar (maybe not identical) to iAd. Moreover it is managed by Quattro Wireless, which, we know, has just been purchased by Apple.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe there are already ads that don't take you out from the app. If so, tell me.

Ciao

8. phpman macrumors newbie