First Apple TV which one should I get?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by holden j caufield, Apr 3, 2017.

1. holden j caufield macrumors newbie

Is there a major difference, I mostly might want it to air display on my TV from my macbook. Not sure what else I want to do with it, never owned one before.

2. Alrescha macrumors 68020

There are major differences, the most notable being the availability of the App Store. On the other hand, if all you really want to do is use Airplay Display (or Airplay from iTunes) then the ATV3 will likely do that as well as the ATV4 and is practically free.

A.

3. Coffee50 macrumors 6502

I'd say go for the 4 if you can. (And if you can, check out one for out at an apple store or best buy)

You mentioned you weren't sure what else you want to do with it, so there'e a chance you might want or need some of the apps / games, etc.

4. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

ATV3 no longer gets software updates. If all you want is AirPlay, this could be ok. But, AirPlay can be slow, ATV4 gives you more options for the future. If you aren't planning to load it up with many tv and gaming apps, the 32GB should work well for you long term.

If your only apple device is a MacBook, no iOS devices, and you don't see an iPhone or iPad in your future, you're better off connecting via HDMI,as it's faster, maybe get a longer cable.

5. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

If you simply just want to AirPlay, you can save some money and get the ATV3. However, if you want the App Store, and continued software updates, go with the ATV4. I'm sure you could find some deals (even used) for around $100 for the ATV4.

6. scott911 macrumors 6502a

Even the generation 4 is kind of old now - I think its chip is a generation or two behind the current iphone.

I hope that when the new guy in charge (hired in a past few months) get control of the Apple TV program - it will finally start living up to it's potential. And with new innovations, the gen 4 will quickly be left behind.

7. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

Considering you can buy slow to fast roku and other set-tops, I completely disagree. The A8 is the second gen. 64-bit chip and should be good for streaming for years to come. Whenever ATV5 comes out, they will still offer an ATV4 as the base model, likely with a lower price point ($99?), mark my words.

8. holden j caufield thread starter macrumors newbie

Not even sure what I'm buy here. I just want the air display but I've never used one and the $ diff between a 4 and 3 is probably small. I already have an HTPC. Is this the cheapest way to get airdisplay.

9. benji888 macrumors 68000

benji888

If all you want is airplay, the ATV3 will work fine, and was $69, but no longer made, not sure if you can get a new one, but you could get one on eBay. (Search for Apple TV 3rd generation)

Otherwise the ATV4 retails for $149 for 32GB model, and can be found on sale for less or get a refurbished one for $129 here: http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/appletv

10. scott911 macrumors 6502a

That could make sense. Keep the atv4 for people who don't need 4K , and are ok with a slower spec.
    atv5 for the present and future... :)