Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

S.T.A.R.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
:cool: I’ve had many iPhones and iPads over the years…some I loved…some I only liked…but never disliked. So I decided to try an Apple Watch…the Series 4 – 44mm GPS + Cellular. I’ve had it over a week now and I can honestly say I’m not too impressed by it at all :( . Like I’ve come to expect from Apple, it was packaged well, in perfect condition, and overpriced. I guess I will not return it but It feels more like a boring “novelty item” than a high-tech wonder device. I keep trying to convince myself I will “come around”. Maybe I don’t have good apps…maybe it will grow on me…maybe me seeing a trillion dollar company asking for donations ruined the experience for me…maybe… :mad:

:apple:

Last edited:

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Honestly, most of the people who have and like their Apple Watch are into it mostly for the fitness stuff. For me activity tracking, running/biking speed & distance and having music when running or at the gym with just a pair of bluetooth headphones is worth the price of admission. If you're not into the fitness stuff I think it's usefulness for most folks is limited.

S.T.A.R.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
Honestly, most of the people who have and like their Apple Watch are into it mostly for the fitness stuff. For me activity tracking, running/biking speed & distance and having music when running or at the gym with just a pair of bluetooth headphones is worth the price of admission. If you're not into the fitness stuff I think it's usefulness for most folks is limited.

I think that makes sense. I'm not into fitness stuff, but wanted the AWS4 to get into fitness. Well yesterday I did an outdoor walking "Workout" that lasted approx 1.5 hours. So after I get home I checked the stats on the Activity app and it said I only did 6 mins of exercise.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
Apple Pay without pulling out my phone, notifications without pulling out my phone, calendar events without pulling out my phone, and heartrate/fitness tracking....the only things I have an Apple Watch for. And I LOVE it for doing just these things.

barjam

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
If you aren't into fitness and aren't in a situation where notifications/schedule are important then yea, the watch may not be for you. Every day I am in a ton of meetings so having a reminder is huge. I get 150+ work emails a day and having VIPs sent to the watch is awesome.

I use my watch by far more than my phone on a given day (not counting the time I am on the phone for conference calls).

[doublepost=1538521798][/doublepost]
I think that makes sense. I'm not into fitness stuff, but wanted the AWS4 to get into fitness. Well yesterday I did an outdoor walking "Workout" that lasted approx 1.5 hours. So after I get home I checked the stats on the Activity app and it said I only did 6 mins of exercise.

Is this post for real? Is it a troll post? I have used the watch for probably 1000 workouts over the years and that has never once happened to me.

S.T.A.R.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
Apple Pay without pulling out my phone, notifications without pulling out my phone, calendar events without pulling out my phone, and heartrate/fitness tracking....the only things I have an Apple Watch for. And I LOVE it for doing just these things.

Do you like to use it as a phone without pulling out your phone?
[doublepost=1538521932][/doublepost]
If you aren't into fitness and aren't in a situation where notifications/schedule are important then yea, the watch may not be for you. Every day I am in a ton of meetings so having a reminder is huge. I get 150+ work emails a day and having VIPs sent to the watch is awesome.

I use my watch by far more than my phone on a given day (not counting the time I am on the phone for conference calls).

Is this post for real? Is it a troll post? I have used the watch for probably 1000 workouts over the years and that has never once happened to me.

It is for real.

Reactions: edhchoe

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
Do you like to use it as a phone without pulling out your phone?
[doublepost=1538521932][/doublepost]

No....can’t stand using it as phone by holding it up to my face, and I only did it once in an emergency when I was nowhere near my phone. But I could see using it in conjunction with wireless Bluetooth earbuds.....may have to try that one out.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Actually it's a very common problem with Apple Watches (check for other posts if you don't believe me). Mine works great for virtually every kind of workout except outdoor walking (other workouts that I commonly use are outdoor run, outdoor cycle and HIIT). When I take my dog for a walk and start an outdoor walk workout I usually get exercise credit for about 4 minutes of my 30 minute walk. I think Apple thinks I should walk faster or something... I dunno.

Reactions: HandsomeDanNZ

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Well yesterday I did an outdoor walking "Workout" that lasted approx 1.5 hours. So after I get home I checked the stats on the Activity app and it said I only did 6 mins of exercise.
Speculation, but I see two possibilities:

A - in case you didn't actually start a workout app and just walked while wearing the watch: apparently you need to keep a certain pace or it doesn't count movement as exercise, since the pulse meter isn't running constantly unless a workout app is active. So walk a bit faster next time if this is what you did. Or start a workout in a training app of some sort.

B - if you were running a workout app: you need a certain amount of heartrate elevation for your exercise minutes to count; either the pulse meter couldn't find your pulse (poor contact with skin, tattoos on your wrist area perhaps), or your fitness level is too high for your heartrate to increase much. Try something a little more strenuous perhaps. Jogging, or walking quicker, and/or in hilly terrain and so on.

If these shoes don't fit then I don't know. Feels a little quick to dismiss the watch entirely just for one wonky workout though, but it's your choice... :)

S.T.A.R.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
Speculation, but I see two possibilities:

A - in case you didn't actually start a workout app and just walked while wearing the watch: apparently you need to keep a certain pace or it doesn't count movement as exercise, since the pulse meter isn't running constantly unless a workout app is active. So walk a bit faster next time if this is what you did. Or start a workout in a training app of some sort.

B - if you were running a workout app: you need a certain amount of heartrate elevation for your exercise minutes to count; either the pulse meter couldn't find your pulse (poor contact with skin, tattoos on your wrist area perhaps), or your fitness level is too high for your heartrate to increase much. Try something a little more strenuous perhaps. Jogging, or walking quicker, and/or in hilly terrain and so on.

If these shoes don't fit then I don't know. Feels a little quick to dismiss the watch entirely just for one wonky workout though, but it's your choice... :)

Yes I was running a workout app...you know it counts down 3 - 2 - 1. I have no tattoos. I checked often and saw heart-rate info. I was walking fast and broke a sweat.
[doublepost=1538523355][/doublepost]The AI said I may have went through a reality distortion field.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_distortion_field

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
What do you count as walking fast?

I have no idea how Apple distinguishes Move from Exercise, but I get 30 minutes of Exercise in 30 minutes walking 4-4.5 mph.

You’d think it would be a matter of heart rate, not speed per se, but if you were sweating you probably had the heart rate covered. Although, it’s not purely heart rate, either, because my heart rate isn’t up for a least the first few minutes of my walk, but i get credit for it.

Reactions: Sword86

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Yes I was running a workout app...you know it counts down 3 - 2 - 1. I have no tattoos. I checked often and saw heart-rate info. I was walking fast and broke a sweat.
[doublepost=1538523355][/doublepost]The AI said I may have went through a reality distortion field.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_distortion_field
Return it move on, it’s not for you. Nothing wrong with that. Distortion field, somewhat dated :)

S.T.A.R.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
Return it move on, it’s not for you. Nothing wrong with that. Distortion field, somewhat dated :)

I can't gave up that way. If anything, I can do a YouTube "hammer test" on the watch to show how durable it is!! :)

Reactions: edhchoe

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010

It can happen if you don’t walk fast enough. I just was recalibrating my watch using the outdoor walk and was walking slowing...not exercising but it didn’t track my exercise. That said, it is perfectly fair it wasn’t counting that as exercise. It shouldn’t have been counted as such.

If you are interested in using your watch for fitness, you will need to increase you heart rate. As long as you are able to do this....I recommend using your watch for fitness! We only have one body and we have to take care of it! I love tracking my fitness progress on my watch.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
You guys are giving me hope that I will learn to like the watch!! :)

• Don't let the one 6-min failure ruin anything. There's a learning curve to everything and some troubleshooting is in order.
  • Look up "apple watch killer apps" or "best apple watch apps" or whatever. See if there is anything in those lists that appeals to you. There are 10,000 applications and some of them will be more suited to a watch, just like some apps are best on a phone, some are best on a tablet, and some are best on a full computer.
  • Ask others what they use theirs for. For me, the AW will be for running, providing podcasts, music, and exercise apps without having to haul around my phone. I've tried every method of hauling around my phone and I hate them all.
  • "C25K" has been a hit with myself, my brother, and a friend. It is a program (and there are some AW apps for it) that gets anyone running a 5K starting from "couch potato" state. I am absolutely one of those people who couldn't run half a block without chest pain, and always saw joggers as some sort of superhuman "others". Now I can run 30 minutes straight no break, and probably more if I were inclined to. This has been life changing for my health, energy, and overall wellness. I am starting to think about longer runs now.
P.S. If you give up and plan on hitting it with a hammer, let me know where and when. Then I will show up and rob you, taking the watch to keep it in a safe home.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I can't imagine going watchless again. Every time I forget to put mine on I'm so annoyed that I can't easily pull out my phone and check. I work in a job where I can't really have my phone out much so being able to have notifications and simple interactions be able to be done on my watch is invaluable to me.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
hey OP, if you’re not exercising/fitness in general or aren’t tremendously into messaging/receiving notifications, the Apple Watch really is not for you.

It’s not exactly revolutionary because it won’t tie the shoelaces on your Mizuno for you and make you run a 5K without you having to do anything.

Get moving.

Reactions: off3nc3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.