First Apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Benjamin,, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Benjamin, macrumors member

Benjamin,

There are loads of articles on this all over the WWW. However I want a communities option, not one persons. Share the apps you use most often (aside of the preinstalled ones) and why.

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are dozens of threads like this, filled with recommendations that you may find useful. Here's a small sample:

3. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I use several apps everyday and to me those are the most useful:

OmniFocus, the BEST task app ever. Yes, it is pricey and has a learning curve, but once you get it it makes your life easier. I also use it on my iPhone and iPad and never have a sync issue. When an app works this well and makes your life easier I don't mind paying the costs. Sometimes you do have to pay more for top quality and OmniFocus is well worth the price.

BusyCal, basically iCal on Steroids and far better than iCal, although iCal is prettier to look at. I think when they remove the reminders from iCal into it's own app the iCal will be very nice to look at. iCal is bad at task management.

Day One; great journaling app and with iCloud support works great with the iOS version of Day One

Quicken for Mac: It's gotten a lot of bad press because it supposedly doesn't do a lot of high end stuff, but for me it works great and does exactly what I need it to do with a clean and easy to use interface.

Splash ID; helps me keep track of all my passwords and since it syncs with an iOS version works great. There may be better ones out there but I have been using Splash ID on smartphones for years (Palm, WindowsPhone and iPhone) so when the Mac app came out I went with it.

MS Office for Mac: Excel, word, Powerpoint and Outlook. I got them through a special offer from my employer and it works great since I have easy compatibility with things I need to do for work. I wish Outlook was a little better because I loved Outlook on Windows, and the Mac version just isn't as good, but I do maintain my calendars on there as well as tasks in the hopes that someday it will improve. Outlook also has a neat little applet called My Day that can give you a summary of your days appointments and tasks. As for Excel, Word and Powerpoint, well they are great and have not had any problems with them or with compatibility with the Windows versions I use at work.

FantastiCal. This is a great little app for adding events and tasks to iCal or you can even use it to add tasks with Outlook. You just use plain english and it fills in the appointment info and syncs to iCal/BusyCal or Outlook I just wish you could use it for both. (maybe you can and I have yet to figure that out, LOL)

iWork, This is the Apple suite like Office. these apps (Pages, Numbers, Keynote) are so much more intuitive and easier to use than Office, I use these though mainly for personal stuff, leaving Office to to the work related stuff. If the compatibility with Office were better I would use iWork ands down.

MenuTab Pro, Love this app, keeps Facebook right there and alerts me when I have messages, friend requests or comments without having to open Safari and go to Facebook.

PopClip, Just discovered this little gem of an app. Gives you the copy/paste features like in iOS. Was skeptical at first, but after a few tries love it better than the keyboard shortcuts for copy/paste.