First attempt at a music video / short film; comments?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by motorazr, Feb 22, 2012.

1. motorazr macrumors 6502

motorazr

The Frozen Waste...wait. Duluth, Minnesota.
    Hello..

A friend and I recently put together a short music-video type of film for a student competition, and its the first attempt at anything like that for either one of us. Granted yes, it's not to an original piece that we own, but it's our interpretation of how the Iron and Wine cover of "Such Great Heights" might look as a change to its original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsFE5FnRXjQ

Anyway.. it's far from perfect (a few touches were skipped in end due to a deadline ..) but overall we're both happy with the result. It was shot on a Canon 7d, as well as a 5d MKII, with the Canon 50 1.4, Canon 135 f2L, and wide angle..28-70 I believe at 2.8.

Love to hear comments :)

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

It's good. It didn't really come off as an amateur video and goes well with the music. A couple of small things though. I was enjoying the progression from the beginning of the video until about 90 seconds in, and then some of the scenes from earlier repeated again (at least the earlier location was repeated after moving away from it over the course of a minute) as in 0:40 and then 1:42-1:43. I would take shots like at 1:43 and group it with the one at 0:40 instead of dispersing it later in the video because it interrupts the continuity of the scene progression. There's a few other places where that happens but that's just me being technically critical.

Also I noticed a single-frame edit at 2:28 of black (between the notebook shot and phone booth) that needs to be taken out. Overall the video is good and I liked it. :)

3. motorazr thread starter macrumors 6502

motorazr

The Frozen Waste...wait. Duluth, Minnesota.

Yea.. repeated shots.. well, I know that we would have loved to do a lot more to *not* have those.. but.. ;)

WHA?! How did that get there?! .. I really, really hope that isn't present in the version of this that's submitted-- The uploaded one is only a minor change from the DVD version... (goes into panic I missed that) :rolleyes:

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

It isn't a huge issue, I'm not sure what you used to edit but I've encountered this while using FCP X (although the rouge single frames usually aren't of a black generator but rather a random screencap from one of the other scenes)

5. kevinfulton.ca macrumors 6502

Solid first attempt. One piece of advice would be from an artistic point of view. While it looks like you're going for an old home movie look the composition doesn't really mimic it. Everything looks very stable and cleanly shot. One thing I'd try for next time would be to do all those shots hand held with the stabilization turned off and get in tighter to your subjects. If it's supposed to be a home movie then try shooting it like one. If it's a friend shooting it I don't think they'd be that far back with a tripod. Making it look more spontaneous and personal will help connect the viewer to the subjects and what they used to have, giving everything a bit more emotional weight. Also, a different color timing for those flashbacks would really help. Something a little more washed out and maybe adjust the motion a little bit to simulate the old 15fps 8mm films. All of that will help define the flashback from the present. Overall a very nice first video. Can't wait to see future videos! Nice work! :D