First Attempt at Ultra-Macro (reverse ring)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by classicaliberal, Sep 16, 2011.

1. classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

After watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqRn3at0H60 (amazing photos, scan ahead to the middle of the video)

I decided to go ahead and purchase a $8 reverse ring on Ebay and give some serious macro shots a try. It's an amazing thing... a very cheap piece and your lens can now do so much more than it could previously. The ultra-small DOF is a challenge to work with, but when you get it set right the results can be really cool. I've only experimented for an hour or so... and no insect shots yet, but here's what I've been able to put together. Any comments/criticisms welcome. I'm just learning.

All shots were taken with a Panasonic GH2 and a 14-140 Panasonic lens at somewhere between f/4 and f/5 (impossible to tell with the lens reversed.

Tiny Green Tomatos
    [​IMG]

Tiny Green (squished) Tomato
    [​IMG]

Tree Bark
    [​IMG]

Tomato Stem
    [​IMG]

Table Salt
    [​IMG]

2. stradale33 macrumors member

stradale33

Cool, real alien world stuff.

So when you use a reverse ring it means you can focus real close but nothing works like AF, metering etc because the CPU isn't connected, right?

Certainly a cheap way into macro.

Thanks for sharing.

3. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I can't speak for the OP's Panasonic, but with a Canon body, the light meter will always work with any lens. Now, if you did this with an autofocus (EF or EFS) lens, the aperture would be stuck wide open, but you could change the ISO and Shutter Speed in-camera for the proper exposure. This is why lenses with manual controls work best. If you have the aperture and focus ring on the exterior of the lens, you still have full control of everything. Again, this would be for Canon. I'm not sure about other brands.

Autofocus would almost certainly not work on any brand.

4. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Actually, if you hold the DoF preview button while removing the lens from the body (at least on Canons, but it may work on other brands as well), it will stop down to the selected aperture, and stay there.

5. classicaliberal thread starter macrumors regular

classicaliberal

Thanks - and you're exactly right, it's an extremely cheap way to get into serious macro stuff... instead of the lens making big things small to fit on the sensor, it makes small things big to fit on the sensor. ;) Cost me less than $10 for the ring. With the lens switched the aperture is automatically set at full (I think this can be changed by holding down a specific button while removing the lens) and auto focus, etc. do not work. It's all got to be manual. You still set your shutter and iso like normal - and you focus by moving closer or further away from your object. Like moving 1mm can make all the difference.

I just think it's cool that I can 'double' the practical uses for this lens!

That's right, I think having a manual aperture lens would be superior for this application, but it still works great without it. ;)

There's a button like this on the Panny as well, I just can't remember what it is. Everything I've done so far has been at maximum aperture.