First AW running WatchOS4+

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by matt9013, Sep 10, 2016.

1. matt9013 macrumors 6502

matt9013

Was thinking about getting a series 0 watch as they are cheap and WatchOS3 seems to make them work faster. My question is anyone think WatchOS4+ will be supported? I don't want to spend all this money and not get future updates.

Also the only difference between series 0 and 2 is GPS and water-proofing right? I know it has a faster CPU/GPU something etc.

With series 0 I can still get the AW splashed/wash hands right?

2. Bigdog9586 macrumors regular

Apple supports its iPhones and iPads why wouldn't it support the watch too?

3. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Well the iPad 1 shipped with iOS 3 and got suport until iOS 5 whereas the iPad 2 shippped with 4.1 and got iOS 9 so there is valid reasons to be concerned about software updates for Series 1.

4. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

I would be shocked if WatchOS4 didn't work on the Series 0 AW. Anything is possible, but typically the OS works with older models for at least 4 years. I know there could be exceptions, but I am fairly confident it will work with OS4 at least.

Yes, series 0 already does splash protection - I take showers and have swam at the local YMCA about 50 times :)

5. Bigdog9586 macrumors regular

Obviously it won't last forever nor will the watch for most of us. Me I just sent mine off to Amazon for $123 gift card. To me just the cost of doing business so to speak.

6. blindside217 macrumors regular

The four main differences are GPS, more water proofing, faster (dual core) CPU and GPU, and the twice as bright display.

7. Osamede macrumors 6502

This line of product is making bigger leaps than iPhones and it's not OS compatibly really but more like this is an iPod touch and there will be an iPhone. So OS update or not this device won't be as capable.

They'll probably keep updates to try and uphold resale value, but this thing will be going the way of the dodo in either case.

8. NicolasLGA macrumors member

NicolasLGA

Soemthing to consider about the iPad 2 analogy:
    • iPad 2 was on sale longer
    • iPad 2 was big in classrooms and corporate environments
    • iPad 2 had the same chip as devices that Apple was still selling and supporting (iPhone, iPod, iPad mini)
    • iPad 2 was essentially the best selling iPad
    On the other hand, the original Apple Watch (not the series 1 rerelease) has simply disappeared off the market and is way more of a niche product.

My hunch is that it will support watchOS 4 but not watchOS 5 or later...