First Black verticle stripes; now Screen wont work

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jay J, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Jay J macrumors newbie

My MPB which is about 5 or so months old (I got the MB134LL/A)
    And Upgraded to 4gb of memory)..Anyway last week I had tiger stripes on my display(but not my monitor)..This was while I was watching a youtube clip and the display had dimmed)..But all of it would not awake..
    [​IMG]

Now Today same thing happened again while the display auto dimmed while watching a youtube clip but now the display of the laptop is black (yes the dimmercontrol is at max brightness); and my external monitor yet works fine.
    (The screen is just pitch black) like I have set the dimmer at 0% brightness)... :( ..

I've never dropped it on the ground; or even hit the unit on a surface hard. Heck the battery has had only 25 cycles to date...

2. Jay J thread starter macrumors newbie

3. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Call Apple. Seems like there is something wrong with your screen or perhaps the connector.

4. Edwin124 macrumors member

this same thing happened to me a couple days after i received my MPB (bought refurbished) i had called apple and they had me reset the PRAM and that did nothing, it happened again a week later and and they set me up for a DOA replacement, i would call apple and have them take care of this

5. Jay J thread starter macrumors newbie

I did reset the Pram but it didn't help ...Well as in hte screen went to black the next time..I'll call them next thursday :D

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Since it works fine to an external monitor it's most likely a bad LCD screen. Since it's still under warranty Apple should replace it.

Cheers,

7. habubauza macrumors regular

habubauza

Nvidia 8600 is faulty. 100% of the macbook pros that use this chip are faulty. Not some, all. I am on my 5th Macbook Pro and I utilize a specific program that is slightly heavy on video and causes failure within 30 -60 minutes. 100% of the time. (Works normal on regular macbook) I think that you may be experiencing a GPU failure.

8. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

This is a backlighting problem. I experienced the exact same thing. It has nothing to do with the 8600 :rolleyes:

9. habubauza macrumors regular

habubauza

Regardless, all Macbook Pro's with Nvidia 8600 chip are faulty. If you have an 8600 Macbook Pro yours is faulty as well.

10. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Mine was replaced in Nov ;)
    I'm sorry but you're crazy for letting them give you 4 replacements of the same machine... Especially with your insight that all of them are faulty :rolleyes: I would've asked for my money back or replacement with a different model after the second swap...

11. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

wut did u use to make it fail in 60 min? crazy

12. habubauza macrumors regular

habubauza

If you have a bunch of songs whose titles require scrolling during playback in frontrow, that combined with the 3D flipping effect is more than Nvidia 8600 can handle. If you shuffle enough songs to have continuous playback say for 30 minutes or more your Nvidia chip will fail. On a regular macbook, you can do this all day with no problem.