First bluray rip/ATV2 playback - help needed

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by posnera, Mar 16, 2014.

1. posnera macrumors regular

OK, I've ripped the Lord of the Rings Extended edition blurays using MakeMKV. I unchecked all the non-english audio and subtitle tracks.

I currently have an ATV2 but wanted to future-proof the conversion.

I then ran them through handbrake using the ATV3 preset. The only adjustments I made were to boost the gain to 5 and add in forced subtitles.

Then I joined the movie halves using mp4tools. This gave me a strange error, saying that the two halves had different framerates. I don't understand how this could happen since I used the same settings.

The resulting movie plays through the ATV2, but there is no sound.

So, what am I doing wrong?

2. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

When you selected the ATV3 preset, did you leave the frame rate setting as 'same as source' with VBR selected? If you did, that is probably your problem right there. Try selecting the actual frame rate (click on 'activity monitor' to see, it's probably 23.976 or 24.00 FPS). Then also select CFR (constant frame rate) and then process. That 'should' give you 2 compatible parts.

HTH

3. posnera thread starter macrumors regular

That makes sense about the bitrates. The files did merge into a playable movie. On my mac, everything is fine.
    Using VBR helps to keep filesize down, doesn't it? If so, I can stick with it (plus I won't be merging files that often).
    The audio problem is more concerning.