First Buyer: cMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by newjacksm, Aug 15, 2012.

1. newjacksm macrumors member

I have always been a PC owner and I still believe I will be for video games. However, I just graduated college and want to learn the iOS system better. I also started picking up video and photography for entertainment not professionally.

I do plan on using this computer as a home media device to watch movies and play music on the home theater system.

I already know that I don't want the retina, there is no reason for me to have it, plus I like to rip my own music and movies for my own digital library.

What has got me quite in the pickle over here is, will the GPU with 512ram be sufficient enough to run hi-res and edit videos and pictures? As well as run HD-Video to my TV? I think it will, but I would like to ask you guys, whom already own Macs and have seen the results.

Thank you

2. nitromac macrumors 6502

Yes, the 512 should be enough for editing. Most editing suites use both the GPU and CPU. Having more RAM (not GPU memory, but the regular kind) would have a much more significant impact on editing performance, as compared to having 1GB of video RAM. I have been editing with Premiere CS6 lately on my MBP (specs below) and it's flawless.

As for displaying HD video on your TV, you should have absolutely no problems. My home theater PC has a low-end Radeon 6570, and it plays Blu-Ray and everything without a hitch.

3. newjacksm thread starter macrumors member

The specs of your MBP is exactly what I am going for. I am wanting to upgrade it myself.

Thank you for the insight.

4. MacBookProzak macrumors regular

5. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I have mentioned this in another thread, but I'll re-post here as well.

I just bought myself a new Mac. Had a MBA and the SSD just ended up being not quite enough for my needs. Did some research and through another user on this site I came across the following deal.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0395764

It is the late 2011 model, so if you don't need the USB 3.0 ports then it's a heck of a deal. 2.5Ghz quad i7, 750GB 7200 RPM HDD, HR AG screen, and 1GB of VRAM on that 6770M card. Have a 16GB RAM upgrade headed my way from Newegg for an additional $80, which has pretty much guaranteed that this machine will be more than enough to cover my needs for the foreseeable future.

If you have a Microcenter near you I highly recommend this deal.

6. P0stalTek macrumors 6502

P0stalTek

My 2011 base Mac Mini plays everything I throw at it on my Panasonic 55" plasma. Mind you, this is with the Intel 3000 onboard graphics. You should have no problems at all.

(I also have ran quite a few programs off of my 2011 MBP when I first got it, just to see how it did. Flawless) :apple:

7. newjacksm thread starter macrumors member

I do have a microcenter by me, is this a better machine, price aside? With the Ivy bridge cpu and even if the GPU has lower ram the Radeon is still better?

8. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Depends on what you're comparing it to. If you're talking about a baseline 2012....then yeah. If you are talking about a maxed out 2012....then no.