First camcorder - Canon FS200 or Sony Handycam

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ozreth, Apr 9, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

So I will be purchasing my first camcorder, hopefully today, and wanted a quick opinion. I will be doing random shooting of friends and some blogging stuff so I don't need anything spectactular. I am fairly new to editing and am just looking to get my hands dirty.

I've boiled it down to two cameras:

The Canon FS200: I can get one refurbished on Amazon for 199.99. Would this be safe to do? They are 250 new but I figure I could use the extra cash for a tripod.

Sony Handycam: Looks like the new ones (not HD) go for around $270. Although I heard that these arent mac compatible? I did some research and I seem to be seeing different answers everywhere.

Any advice would help. Thanks : )

Ps: I asked a few of these questions in a thread last week, but it seems to have died and I dont want to keep bumping, hence the fresh thread.

2. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

Bump, don't create new threads

It is by creating new threads all the time that can make it difficlut for people to search them. Bump, don't create.

But on another note, Canon has always had my allegiance because of their durability and unlike Sony, they don't create proprietary software that you HAVE to buy from them to make their stuff work.

Canon + 1

3. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Can't disagree with your first point, but I'm hoping to buy today so I needed a quick answer, and I thank you for yours.

Gonna go with the Canon, do you advise against buying refurbished?