First Canadian Apple Store

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple has made public its plans to open its first Canadian retail store, at the Yorkdale Shopping Center in Toronto, Ontario, with the grand opening scheduled for Saturday, May 21, 2005.The Yorkdale Apple Store has been a rumored retail location in previous MacRumors discussions.The opening in Canada will expand Apple's retail presence to its fourth country, after the U.S., Japan, and the U.K.

jelemans

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2005
canadian stores

I don't know about Toronto, but I'm not sure that Vancouver needs one. We have two MacStations, Westworld and two Simply Computing all Mac dealers. It might be cool, but I'm not sure it would improve mac sales or support.

I'm an Apple VAR and already I can't get equipment, what are my chances
if a store opens up around here?

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
This is the kind of news from apple-canada I can't believe until released...

iTMS canada was 1 year rumor, wasn't it? ;)

I know, this is confirmed... but it's just the feeling of "wait until it really happens" :)

Congratulations Canada

Zander-Fragile

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2005
Well, this news finally motivated me to sign up for a MRs forum account after lurking for far too long. I certainly do hope that Vancouver is the next inline for a store.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
While the announcement of a definite date of May 21st is news, the announcement of a store in Toronto as the title of the thread implies is very, very old "news." Check out Ugg's posting of October 29th last year to see just how old. It's a good thing to start a new thread on the topic of Apple stores in Canada, but give Ugg and AppleInsider the credit they deserve for their work of last year. I don't know, Doctor Q, if you started this thread, but the information in your post certainly could have been in the first post and the thread title somewhat different.

The original AppleInsider piece also said their would be another Toronto store in Vaughan Mills mall coming soon. While we have yet to see evidence of this second location, given the accuracy of AppleInsider's information it bears watching to see if there are any developments on this front.

An earlier article had as many as four Canadian sites being planned by Apple, although the last two locations have yet to be revealed if this is true. Hopefully, Vancouver and Montreal cannot be far behind.

Symtex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2005
tape said:
Don't you think Montreal would be a better choice than Vancouver for the next store?

tape.
In Theory it would because montreal is the Multimedia city. B-mac just close last year for lack of sales. Compusmart and Microserv (both own by hartco) are the only one who resells apple product.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Great news for Canada.
Will I being in line for a T-Shirt -no
London was enough for me. Good luck to all who sail in her.

trump

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2004
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Here are my predictions...complete speculation other than #1

1. Toronto Yorkdale
2. Vacouver Robson St.
3. Montreal Saint Claire (? heard from a friend, not familiar with Montreal)
4. Toronto City Centre (Flagship on Queen St. or in Eaton Centre)

I'm not saying Toronto twice because I live here, it's just I've seen the black plywood, I've seen the size of the store, and I know how from from downtown Yorkdale is. It would be a perfect setup to have a second, very high profile store in the city centre.

Symtex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2005
trump said:
Here are my predictions...complete speculation other than #1

1. Toronto Yorkdale
2. Vacouver Robson St.
3. Montreal Saint Claire (? heard from a friend, not familiar with Montreal)
4. Toronto City Centre (Flagship on Queen St. or in Eaton Centre)

I'm not saying Toronto twice because I live here, it's just I've seen the black plywood, I've seen the size of the store, and I know how from from downtown that Yorkdale is. It would be a perfect setup to have a second, very high profile store in the city centre.
You mean in Pointe-Claire ? It is in the West Island of Montreal.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Knew about this one for a while, but it's nice that Apple has finally made it official!

My vote for the next store is Vancouver. Montreal would be a logical choice as well, but I think it would make more sense to geographically disperse them a little more, what with Toronto and Montreal being "relatively" close together - an Apple Store out west would be great!

ct77

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
jelemans said:
I don't know about Toronto, but I'm not sure that Vancouver needs one. We have two MacStations, Westworld and two Simply Computing all Mac dealers. It might be cool, but I'm not sure it would improve mac sales or support.

I'm an Apple VAR and already I can't get equipment, what are my chances
if a store opens up around here?
Afraid of the competition?

Dan8302

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2003
Rochester, NY
Lucky Bag

Do we know if apple will be doing the lucky bags for this location? I'm close enough to road trip up and would love to get $500 worth of stuff for $250 :)

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Dan8302 said:
Do we know if apple will be doing the lucky bags for this location? I'm close enough to road trip up and would love to get $500 worth of stuff for $250 :)
Could you shed a little light on what these are? I've never had to worry about Apple stores opening because they were never anywhere near me.

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
I wonder how far they will go with retail stores. Obviously as far as it remains profitable. I'm just curious how many that will be.

Sundance Kid

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2005
Canada
YES! Now I think the next spot to put in a apple store would be Kelowna. Would that be perfect or what? Just think of the possibilities.

serpico

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I agree Robson Street in Vancouver is the best location, but Metrotown Centre in Burnaby, could give them a run for the money. That mall is going through renovations right now and growing, perfect place for a new Apple Store. Robson Street seems to be very crowded right now, not sure where Apple could build a nice big store. Another plus for the mall, would be the foot traffic, there's alot more than Robson Street strictly b/c it's got a roof for those rainy days! :D