First Car Advice!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iShane, Sep 13, 2009.

1. iShane macrumors 6502a

Hi All,

I am 17 and I have been driving for a year now, I've been driving my parents 2008 Chevy Silverado but I'm looking for something smaller and more fuel efficient. I found a very nice car that I really like - a 1999 BMW 323i. It has 124,000 miles, but it also has a VERY decent price tag. The only thing I'm concerned about is that it might just be a big money pit. Does anyone have any experience with this specific model of car? Or just about BMW in general? I realllly like the car, but I don't want it to sit in my driveway if it's going to have tons of problems. Normal maintenance is something that I expect, and something that I can deal with, however. If you have any input at all, I'd definitely appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Shane

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I've never had a BMW, but most who I know who've had a BMW find that they get more tickets with that kind of car than a non-luxury car. Just something to be aware of.

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

get a toyota or a honda.. can't go wrong with either...

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

The car is 10 years old and has over a 100k miles on it. I do not care who it is made by it is a money pit. Get a new model car with the that money. Do not pay the extra money for it to be a BMW at that age.

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

BMW's( or any German auto manufacture) are expensive as hell to maintain once they reach that kind of mileage. That is something you don't want to buy if you don't have the funds to maintain it.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I'd say a Buick or Mercury will come in less expensive, being 17 either would also have the lowest insurance rates.

Might be bland and tasteless styling wise, but either would be less costly in insurance and repairs.

Of course they would probably be so forgetful that you'd want to experience the fun and pain of shelling out for expensive repairs on a sportier/sexier car every few months.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Agreed. Well many have few problems with cars of that age, I would take caution solely because of the repair cost.

8. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Now we all know you want a BMW because you'd look cool. But really you cant afford one at 17. The maintenance on that car will be too high, the insurance will be close to what a new economy car would be a.d its gas mileage would not be great either.

9. PCtoMAC? macrumors member

The problem with answering any used car question is that it all depends, on how well the previous owner took care of the car. My first car was a BMW as well a 95 3 series, which i still own and drive. Maintenence records are key! If the car has consistant maintenence records with a clean car fax then I wouldn't hesistate to buy it. That being said it's still a BMW and yes it will cost more to maintain than your average Honda but as long as you stay on top of it it's not too bad. If records are not available then I wouldn't touch it.

As far as gas mileage goes I would have to look into it more but mine gets 35 on the highway and 22-25 in town.

10. iShane thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I did pay for a Carfax and it does seem to be well taken care of, and it hasn't had any major problems yet. I'm just hoping that all the problems don't come when I buy it ha :p