First car help?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by FearTheD, Sep 9, 2011.

1. FearTheD macrumors member

Sup dudes. This topic is a little out there, but I could use some help. This year, I plan on getting my first car.I'm 18, and my parents will help, but I will pay for it as well. I've narrowed my choices to about 3 cars I've been interested in. 1st: '06 BMW 330(x)i. 2nd: Infiniti G35 coupe. 3rd. '10 Chevy Camaro. I know you're probably thinking "these cars aren't ideal 1st cars" but I can't see myself driving a old-looking car, just for the sake of it being my 1st car. I want a care that may not be brand new, but looks relevant to this time period and won't look outdated a couple years from now. if you guys could help me decide on which one might be a better idea, that'd be great. I know at the end of the day, the choice is mine, but I'd love to hear the opinions of others. Also, if you could suggest maybe other cars that fit into my "modern-looking" criteria, that'd be sweet.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Insurance is going to be pretty expensive on the cars you listed. I would suggest a used Civic or something similar. Good gas mileage, reliable, etc.

3. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Very good choices. I have a 328i and love it. Only cars I'd add to your list would be Mercedes C300 and Audi A4. In my opinion the 2001+ BMW 325i's look better than any Civic ever made.

4. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

My advice is that these are not ideal first cars.....

But that depends on your situation. You say your parents will help and you will help pay for it. As in a car payment? Or are you just going to pay insurance and gas. If you are going to be on the line for a car payment, I would reconsider all of your choices, especially the BMW. Maintenance is going to be an expensive part of the first two cars from friends I had who owned them and from me looking at buying them myself.

Have you looked into insurance for them? Further what are you doing for income? Are you in college? How much of your paycheck will be toward the car, including gas, parking, insurance and car payment?

I would say for most people at your age, these cars are too much of a burden. Not that these are too much car for you, but the financial burden doesn't make sense to most 18 year olds. Making a car payment that is likely to be a significant amount of your income on a vehicle with high maintenance costs is not a good idea.

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

If bump up your budget just a little, you could get a lightly used Lamborghini Countach for maybe 125K. Love those gull wing doors. :p:rolleyes:

Really, I'm partial to BMW's - they make a wonderful sport sedan. It's really a drivers car. :cool:

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

These threads always end up turning into an argument over whether 18-year olds should be driving expensive luxury/sports cars.

With that being said, how much money are you willing to spend? It sounds like you've got at least $20000 available....Is a less expensive car totally out of the question? Additionally, "Outdated" is a totally relative term, but I take it you mean you want people to look at your car and see something that looks "new". What about something cheaper but just as fun to drive, like a Golf GTI or Mini Cooper S?

7. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I would avoid anything German. Everyone is focused on the initial price of the car. " OMG this BMW is only $20,000! I can afford it!". They forget about the maintenance to keep the car going. German cars are not cheap to maintain. While you may be able to afford the initial cost of the vehicle, you will be struggling with the maintenance.

So that knocks it down to the Infiniti and Camaro. What do you want in your first car? The Infiniti has the refinement, but the Camaro has the sex appeal and probably more fun to drive(subjective of course).

Not knowing your price range, I would also throw in the Buick Regal Turbo. Yes, I just recommended a Buick. I know it isn't on a kids top cool car list, but it's a good car that myself at 21 would love to own. It's stable, it handles pretty well, that 2.0 liter turbocharged engine is a blast to drive, the suspension is adjustable, it has refinement, and best of all, it's available in a manual transmission. I drove the upcoming 2012 Buick Regal GS which has the same manual transmission that is in the regular Turbo and I am a complete novice when it comes to driving a stick. It has been 3 years since I last drove a manual transmission( and that was as a lot attendant at a dealership) and I had no problem with the Regal GS's manual transmission. Once you get used to driving a manual, it really makes a car fun to drive.

My 2 cents.

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

If you go to the dealership that's definitely true. But you can control maintenance costs if you can find a good mechanic. Much less expensive. Having said that the maintenance on any luxury car can be expensive. :(

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Then he should definitely get one, when he learns how to drive.

10. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Point taken :p

I keep forgetting that we are talking about someone of the very young persuasion. ;) :D

11. FearTheD thread starter macrumors member

My price range is as low as I can go but still having a car that looks "modern". I mentioned the Camaro, but that's a long shot. These are my choices. Not the definite ones that I'm getting.

----------

I will be under my parent's insurance. I know it will still go up, but it will be a lot cheaper.

----------

I'm a big guy (6'2, 200 pounds) so I think a mini cooper and golf are out of the question. And also, with all due respect, I'm not asking if these are cars are ok for an 18 yr old. I've had my license for 2 years and haven't gotten in a single accident. Not saying that makes me an experienced driver, but at this point if I get into an accident I'm 90% certain it won't be my fault.

----------

Really like your answer. To answer some of your comments, regarding the BMW; I realize it's expensive to repair, but on the flip side of things, aren't they also pretty reliable?

I think I would take the Camaro over the Infiniti, but the Infiniti is far cheaper. I also like that it is more luxurious. However, the Camaro is a gorgeous car. You can see why I'm requesting the opinions of other people haha.

----------

I know how to drive. I don't think a couple more years of driving are really going to make me a "better" driver. Unless you mean like a professional driver, which I doubt you do, after 2 years of driving my parents car and not getting into a single accident or anything, an accident at this point most likely wouldn't be my fault. Not trying to disrespect, just trying to let you know where I'm coming from.

12. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

They are not unreliable, but they do become a pain once in the higher mileage. My dad's E46 330xi became a pain in the ass above 60,000 miles. Pulley went bad and began to rough idle. My brother currently has it and has around 130,000 miles on it last time I asked and window motors, injectors, etc were failing.

What do you think about the Regal?

No disrespect either, but two years is crap for driving experience. You're still a novice. It took me 2 years to get into my first accident( granted it wasn't my fault, but I could have avoided it with more experience).

13. FearTheD thread starter macrumors member

Regal looks decent. Not my cup of tea. I'm into "mean" looking cars if you get me. But thanks for the info on the BMW. Can't help but like the BMW as I've spent a part of my life with my dad owning them, and they really are cool, quick cars.

As far as the driving is concerned, I'm not claiming I'm an expert by no means. But I don't think restricting my car to a Prius will keep me out of an accident any more than a BMW would. At the end of the day, it's about the driver. I'm responsible enough to know what to do and what not to do, and I have no reason to show off. I could do damage with a Prius as well as I could with a Beamer. Thanks a lot for your concern though :) you're alright, haha.

14. wpotere Guest

If you want to play, you are going to have to pay. "Mean" looking cars are going to cost you are they are luxury vehicles and the cars you are looking at are expensive to buy and maintain, sorry but that is simply the fact. Insurance will also be a killer on it even if you are on your parents insurance. Make sure they are ready to take that hike.

As for the MINI, I am 6'1" at 209 and drive a MINI just fine. In fact, it is one of the most fun cars I have ever owned. That being said, it is expensive and what I call an enthusiasts car as it does require regular maintenance that can get expensive.

Saying that you are pretty sure that the accident will be someone else's fault also shows that you are young and lack experience. There really is no way to know who will be at fault in an accident and it is a sad fact that kids usually are the ones that have them more often. That is the reason the insurance is so high in your age range. Just saying...

Frankly I think you should focus on a car that is a bit more toned down like a Honda or Toyota. You will save money and still have wheels that will get you around from place to place without being too out of date and also draw less attention from the police. ;)

15. FearTheD thread starter macrumors member

'Preciate the advice, but I'm not being some ignorant "kid" who thinks I'm the best driver. Only reason why I would get into an accident is if I was being stupid. Point blank. Otherwise, there's no reason why I should get in one. As far as cars are concerned, "mean" looking cars aren't necessarily expensive. You can find an Infiniti for a little over 10k, for example. The Camaro is a stretch, but it is my dream car and I don't want to rule it out just yet, haha ;)

16. wpotere Guest

Hey, you were the one that said you were 90% sure the accident wouldn't be your fault. No, being stupid has nothing to do with it. You could simply look down to your gauges for one second and not realize that a car in front of you has stopped and BANG it would be your fault. This is why they call them accidents and they can happen to anyone, but they happen to young adults more often as you are more easily distracted. Trust me, I used to be one... :rolleyes:

LOL, 10K for a G35 (last year was 2007) is still going to have 90K + miles on it or higher. For any car that is going to be getting into the nickel and dime stage of the vehicle.

Buy what you want, you came here asking for advice but when given you don't want to listen. Sounds like you made up your mind already so why ask us? I'm not against young kids having nice cars if they can afford it but if you are looking for something that will be reliable and last you longer than a year or two for less than 10K, that Infiniti is probably not the way to go.

Either way you go, take the car to a trusted mech for a leak down check to ensure engine health before you buy.

17. FearTheD thread starter macrumors member

Last year was 2007, but they've been out since like 2003 I believe. So yes, you could find one with decent mileage for about 12-13k.

As far as your example of how an accident would be my fault, are you saying me getting more driving experience will teach me not to look down at my gauge? No offense, but that doesn't make much sense to me, seems like it would be common sense when it would be the appropriate time to look at your gauges.

I asked for opinions on cars, not to be lectured on whether or not I'm too young for the ones I like. And while I do appreciate concerns, when people just assume every teenager is the same, it bothers me. Therefore, I reply.

However, I appreciate the help you did provide in your post. No matter what car I pick I am definitely taking it to a mech. Unfortunately we don't have like a "family" mech, as most my parents cars have been leases, and the dealers usually took care of repairs.

18. wpotere Guest

OK, so you are going to get a low milage 8 year old car that is still going to nickel and dime you due to age. Seals rot and parts rust... Like I said, you have already made your mind up so why ask us?

As for the accident, yes more driving experience will help you understand when it is actually safe to take your eyes off the road. In certain situations you don't want to look away, even for a split second. Only time can teach you things like this but then again, you are already an expert so disregard what I said.

You posted on a forum asking for advice. I responded, you can choose not to reply but you did, and I am returning the answer. Don't like what you hear? Not my problem... I have been working on cars for a long time and have a lot of experience with them from rebuilds to tuning. Got the money then get what you like and don't ask silly questions on the forum, especially when you already made the decision. :rolleyes:

19. DWBurke811, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011

DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

When I was looking at cars(April 2009) used G35's started at $18 or so, and that was for base model ones from 2003ish. I went with a new Mazda 6s GT, decent power with a 3.7L V6 w/ 270HP (I guess most would say that's a lot of power but my Volvo S80 T6 put 330+ to the wheels) and looks mean(black on black w/ 5% tint around on the oem 18s). Hopefully someone will make a nice twin turbo kit for it, or even just a little super charger.

Edit: imho If the flying M's on it were propellers it would be a $55k car

20. JBazz macrumors 6502

German cars will kill you out of warranty. If you are going to be paying for your own repairs it is something to keep in mind. Especially if you have to go with an older model so you can meet your budget.

My first car was a Jeep. I had a convertible for summer and a four wheel drive for winter. And the aftermarket parts are just wonderful. So many ways to upgrade and individualize it.

Everyone is different and you need to find what fits your vision of self.

21. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

You seem to be confusing "modern" cars with "cars with massive, gas guzzling engines".

If I had your budget, I'd be straight down to the Ford dealer and ordering myself a Fiesta. These are great cars, with sensible engines (even if you can't get the most sensible 1.25L version in the USA) and they look really modern. They have some great features, like the power heated windscreen (frost, snow, condensation is gone from the front windscreen at the push of a button), rear parking camera and also the option of a full leather interior.

[​IMG]

If you were in Europe, I'd also be suggesting the Volkswagen Polo:

[​IMG]

Heck, you're lucky enough to be able to afford the Audi A1:
    [​IMG]

Also, in the UK the insurance companies describe what you are planning to do as "fronting" and it can invalidate the insurance completely. That is to get your parents to sign for a policy as the "main" driver and then have you as a "named" or "second" driver - even though you will be driving the car more than them and they might not drive it at all. It is a very common form of fraud and they are cracking down on it. Not sure what the rules are in the USA. Plus, if you are not the policyholder then you won't earn any no claims bonus to use in future when you get your own policy.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Before I make my recommendation, I need two questions answered.

1. How do you feel about people driving slower than you on the highway?

2. Do you anticipate any problems with neighbors with regard to on-street parking should road construction happen on your block?

:D

23. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Sorry to differ with you, but a couple of years (more like 10) WILL make you a better driver. Measuring your driving skills by whether you have had an accident or not is a poor criterion for good driving. There is MUCH MORE to good driving than not crashing you car into a pole - or someone else.

It is not necessary to be a "professional driver" to benefit from years of experience, or attending a good driving school (not some H.S. drivers ed - a real driving school). ;)

The similarities are startling. Oh, the blind confidence of youth. :rolleyes:

24. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

Many people drive outdated cars and like them so much, that they don't want to switch, I'm an example of that. But If you can afford one of those, I'd say go to a dealership, take a test drive and see which of those 3 leaves a big grin on your face ;)