First Car

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacPlague, Jan 9, 2015.

1. MacPlague macrumors newbie

Hello everyone im getting my first car next week and am very exited i saved up 3,000 and am looking cautiously for this memory i want forget and want it too be special. i definitely want a used car, and have some questions. What was you're first car like? how long did it last you? if you could go back would you change it?

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

My first car was a brand new 1996 Saturn. It lasted for 16 years and 165k miles when the transmission finally broke again and I wasn't willing to fix it.

For the first 5 or 6 years, the car did just fine. I did have one major problem with the engine block cracking, but the manufacturer fixed that under a special warranty on that part. 10 years in, a transmission problem. Then the transmission had problems again about a year later, but I couldn't be bothered spending the money to fix it. So I instead spent the rest of that cars life being unable to shift from 3rd to second gear (made driving on the San Francisco hills a bit of a challenge). Even first to second was challenging in some situations. But the car kept plugging along.

Finally the day came when I depressed the clutch and it just stayed down. Probably needed a new spring or something. It would have been a pain to fix for such an old car so I got rid of it.

Would I change it. Probably not. At the time my only other viable option was a honda civic, but they sold for significantly more money at the time. The saturn was actually decently designed on the interior, even if the materials were on the cheap side. The civic may have had fewer problems though.

Treat your car right and be willing to put in a bit of money now and then, and they can last a good long time.

3. MacPlague thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow what a journey for that babe... Im kinda thinking about going the same direction in getting a honda, i want something thats going to last for some time.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

What are your options in Egypt?

What currency is your 3,000?

5. MacPlague thread starter macrumors newbie

i dont live in Egypt(should change that) anymore, traffic there was to crazy for me to get a car.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Hehe, yes, I may have suggested a scooter in that case...

Anyway, if you can find a used Honda Civic near you and in your price range, is certainly go for that. I have an Accord that is pushing 10 years and at this rate I'll get another 10 easily.

7. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

My first car was a 1965 Mustang. Bought in 1972 for $400 and sold a couple years later for $400.

It was a hunk of junk. With a straight 6 and a 3 speed, it could barely get out of its own way. But it was a good thing that it was slow, because it handled like a pontoon boat.

It did look cool, though. It had that going for it. My parents pretty much forced me into the Mustang (I wanted the 62 Nova small block V8 on the same lot) because it was slow. My money, but still their say.

8. AustinIllini, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015

AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Chevy Cobalt. Hated it. It didn't want to go, it liked stopping and resting.

If you go used, don't do that. Civics, Corollas are so much better than Cobalts, Malibus, etc. The Cruze is nice, but pretty new still.

I would look at a used Subaru. Those things are all the rage.

9. brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

I was lucky enough to get my dream car: a old Boston Green M3. I was older when I got it because I never had to drive in NYC. I loved that car and have been on a quest to find it ever since I got rid of it. But it was a terrible choice as a first car for a lot of reasons. I bought it with 150k miles and thought it was fairly reliable, getting any work done was expensive. A RWD sports was also not the best choice for NY winters.

Advice: get something practical, reliable and with lots of (affordable) maintenance/repair options.

10. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

2003 Honda Civic.
    It. Will. Not. Die.

Going strong at 130,000 miles (second owners), but it's probably about time to start looking at a clutch replacement. It's have a couple issues with alignment, but nothing major, as well as a slow oil leak that we are currently in the process of finding. Again, nothing major.

If you want to remember it, I'd suggest getting a manual transmission. Mine is a manual, and while it doesn't have a lot of power (remember, it is a Honda), it's still a blast to drive. If you live in a high traffic area it might make an awful car though...

I'd have to say, winters aren't to fun to drive in it. It's pretty much a hockey puck if you don't have snow tires.

11. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

As what is was your first car, is often a security question, I'll not give you the make and model. Suffice to say it was an underpowered dog. However it was in considerably better condition when I bought it, than when it was sold. Two accidents (one minor, one major) meant a good percentage of the body was filler!

12. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Good luck replacing it with a new manual trans civic when yours finally does die... They're all continuously variable transmissions. My friend's dad had his 1998 Honda CR-V for around 210,000 miles and it was still on its original clutch. He only replaced it because he totaled it in a 3 car pileup. My friend said it was so bad that only his dad knew how to use the clutch. But just goes to show you can milk another 80k miles out of yours if you're so inclined

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My first car was a 72 Plymouth Duster. It already was over 10 years old when I bought it, and over 100k in miles. The slant 6 engine just wouldn't die in that car. Its the best car I owned.

(not an actual picture of my car)
    [​IMG]

You never forget your first car, it will be memorable regardless of what you buy :D

14. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

IMO answering truthfully to those so-called security questions is a sucker play. I have a system for answering those questions that I can use to remember later, but the answers aren't researchable by anyone else.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You can still get a manual on the base Civic, just not the ones with more options. Unless you get a Civic Si, which is the only Civic worth buying anyways.

16. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

My first car was a 1961 Morris Oxford, that I bought from the science teacher at the high school I went to. It cost $700 in 1973. It looked very similar to the Peugeot 404, which was quite popular in Egypt because they were quite strong, and suited to rough roads.

I liked the Morris because it was quite comfortable and elegant, but it was quite slow. Top speed was about 80 mph (130 km/hr) and it took about 25 seconds to accelerate to 60 mph. It was not expensive to run, getting about 30 mpg (imperial). Back then petrol cost about 45 cents a gallon.

I sold the car because I no longer needed it…… for most of my life small motorcycles have been my main means of transport. I have occasionally owned a car since then, but I have not owned one for about 15 years. My current ride is a 17 year-old Honda, that i bought for about $500, 11 years ago.

17. Mr. McMac, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015

Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

My first car was a 1971 Volkswagen Beetle I bought brand new for less than $2000. I loved that car. Next car was a 1975 Honda Civic S. I had more problems with that car than I've had with any car I've ever owned, and I've owned quite a few over the past 44 years. Let's see, First problem was bad CV Joints, then the head gasket had to be replaced twice because it was leaking antifreeze, then the manual transmission had a problem where it would pop out of first gear. All these problems occurred within the first 12,000 miles.

18. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I'm pretty sure nobody knows what my first car was all those years ago! But yes, some questions are easier to research than others. Mothers Maiden name for example.

19. lowendlinux, Jan 10, 2015
  20. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

1993 geo tracker. It was a 5spd with about 25 horse power. But that little 4x4 would go anywhere. No snow storm could stop it.

21. Peace, Jan 10, 2015

Peace macrumors Core

Peace

22. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Mine was a second hand VW golf hatchback I got after I finished school.

12 years. For the last 2 I didn't drive it though!

To be honest I wouldn't have got it! It ended up costing a lot of money in purchase and repairs and fuel and parking. I didn't ride my bikes as much as I should have as a result (something I really enjoy). I got fatter and unfit. It is only in the last 4 years I realise what a mistake it was and car ownership is not for me. If I need one for a trip I hire one. Much cheaper and less hassle.

23. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Do you still own it?

(I’m breathless with ... anticipation)

24. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Man I wish.

I sold it right before joining the Navy.

25. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

That is one sweet car! I'd give my left nut to own one of those!! (now you're probably thinking, why won't I give up my right nut?. I'd say it's none of your ********** business) lol!!