First Charge and Battery Calibration

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by almostjay, Nov 18, 2010.

1. almostjay macrumors newbie

Nov 15, 2010
    Hi All,

Just got my 13" MBA and am very happy about it. I plan to baby this thing, and I am always very conscious of battery life for all of my devices, so do any of you have any advice for how to best handle the first charge/discharge cycle?

The machine almost fully charged out of the box. Should I run it down to zero and then fully charge it? Should I fully charge it first and then run it down?

I appreciate any advice. Sorry if this is posted in another thread, but my quick search didn't yield anything.
  2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Apr 30, 2010
    Just use it. Charge it when you want and do not let this ruin your fun. Never run a L-Ion battery to dead as it will do nothing except shorten it's life and decrease it's capacity.
  3. coonsie macrumors newbie

Nov 30, 2009
    The Apple support link just above your post says the opposite.
  4. Perdification macrumors regular

Sep 22, 2010
    Just use it as you normally would and don't worry about it. But just remember to calibrate the battery as recommended by Apple. Then you should be fine. L-ions are pretty rugged, with no "memory" effect.
  5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

Jul 30, 2007
    Purely and largely false.
  6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    They're Lithium-polymer batteries, and Apple recommends that you run the battery to dead when you calibrate.
    This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
  7. almostjay thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 15, 2010
    Thanks all for the feedback. This thing is awesome!