First Charge on an iDevice

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Explicit Content, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Explicit Content macrumors member

Do you use your brand new iDevices directly or charge them 10-15 hours on the first charge?

What is current opinion for this?

Thank you.

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

There's no way I'd wait 15 hours before using a new gadget :) It gets setup immediately and I use it

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Charging it for 15 hours is crazy! Why do that when it will be charged fully in a hours or so?

When I took mine out of the box it had like 70% and I just used it and charged it that night while sleeping.

Do not let the battery and charging interfere with your enjoyment of the device , just use it and charge when you want to do so. No need to dwell on the battery or charging.

4. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

It's not necessary to charge 10-15 hours when first used. Unlike common Ni-CD or Ni-MH batteries, most lithium ion batteries are activated before leaving the factory. Due to their low self-discharge, it’s unnecessary to charge lithium ion batteries for such a long time when new. Lithium ion batteries are ready for use when the charger indicates so, and they will reach their best capacity after 3 or 5 cycles.

5. Explicit Content thread starter macrumors member

Thank you

6. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

Most iDevices I receive have about 80 on them anyway. I just start using them and then charge overnight. These batteries can't be hurt from what I've read.