First charge?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gamst, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Gamst macrumors regular

Gamst

What is the procedure for the first charge on the iPhone? In the past when I've had a new phone, I've been advised to give it a charge of around 16 hours when I first get it. This is without turning it on.

Is this the same for the iPhone? Since I hear it'll have to be activated in the shop, it'll be first turned on without a full charge. Is this good for the battery? Since the iPhone battery isn't easily replaceable, it's quite important.

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Lithium ion batteries are quite resilient. Many of the common myths about them only apply to NiMH and NiCAD. For example, lithium ions cells do not suffer the "memory effect" that older rechargeable batteries do. When I first got my iPhone the first thing I did was load all my music and movies onto it which took at least an hour. By the time it was finished the phone had nearly a full charge and I just started using it. My battery still performs fine a year and 2 days later.

3. Igantius macrumors 65816

Don't believe it was necessary to charge before using - certainly a couple of reviewers claimed so.

Pretty sure that the way battery technology has improved, this is not always needed.

4. calvy macrumors 65816

When I got my first gen iPhone, the instructions said nothing about charging it initially. The store employee told me I should charge it for 12 hours before using it, or something like that. But I didn't, and a year later, I have no issues with battery life on my iPhone. I'll be doing the same when I get my hands on a new 16GB black iPhone 3g