First Cinematography Reel

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by standeliverleav, Feb 9, 2011.

1. standeliverleav macrumors newbie

Hey All,

I'd like some feedback or any comments on my first reel. I've seen this stuff so much I feel it might be moving too fast? what do you think?

http://vimeo.com/19769684

Thanks everyone!

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

you've got some great footage on there... very impressive.

I'd cut it down to about 1min though... honestly, start it at the Nike ad and go from there. Everything before that gets totally overshadowed by the rest of the footage (except for the computer lab scene, I dug that look).

Also, you probably don't need to add in the text about your feature. Keep the reel clean.

I would easily hire you based on the that.

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Nice lighting.. Actually when a scene is over lit sometimes I find it distracting so the shadowed faces don't bother me.

Are the slo-mo shots done with the phantom or something else?

4. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

It's too long. I was reaching for the stop button after about 30 seconds. Not to say that you don't have some great stuff in there, but I think you're too close to some of it. I thought some of the shots towards the end weren't that strong and could be deleted. You also have commercial stuff mixed in with the narrative. I'd separate them and make two different reels for the different markets you cater to. You could always make a generalized reel and make the edit tight and run it 30-45 seconds max. Not too sure about the music... just know that I'm not loving it.

5. standeliverleav thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I would prefer separate reels for my TVC vs narrate work. Good to know I'm moving too slow if anything in your eyes.

The slow motion shots were with the RED at 96fps.

6. dmblue macrumors member

i thought it was incredible. really good stuff

mind sharing what you used to shoot etc..?/

7. standeliverleav thread starter macrumors newbie