First crash...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nick012, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Nick012 macrumors regular

Don't know why I'm posting this really... My macbook just crashed for the first time. The screen went gray and it told me to hold down the power button. Still, I've had it for seven months so I guess I'm doing pretty well. Apart from that I don't have any issues with it at all *touches wood*. No dead pixels, battery still over capacity (unless coconut battery is lying to me) and it doesn't drop wifi connections. Its been behaving a touch oddly since I upgraded to leopard but not that much (occasionally it doesn't switch spaces when I open an app thats bound to a different space). It was just really odd, I guess the whole 'macs never crash' thing buoyed me up with a false sense of security... (not that I feel insecure now or anything, I still love my mac)

/drivel

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

3. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

That macs do not crash is bull invented by SJ as a salesman. Macs, of course, do crash.

A couple of kernel panics per year is not a cause for concern. More frequent occurrence most likely indicates hardware problems. I had three KPs in three years with my 15"PB G4, which is not bad.

4. Nick012 thread starter macrumors regular

No. Which is why its acting a bit strange I guess. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

>>A couple of kernel panics per year is not a cause for concern. More frequent occurrence most likely indicates hardware problems. I had three KPs in three years with my 15"PB G4, which is not bad.

Yeah, I'm not worried or anything. It was just weird. back in my PC days it would almost have been par for the course (although my machine was pretty stable in that I never saw a BSoD I didn't cause myself).

5. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

One kernel panic in seven months isn't a big deal. If they start to happen more frequently then it is something to worry about. Leopard is sometimes quirky on my MacBook Pro. It's brand new with a fresh install of Leopard. I just attribute this to the fact that 10.5 is still young.

Macs absolutely do crash, it's just harder when they do because there is a greater expectation for them to be stable and reliable.