First Day Bugs

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by thatsmyfish, May 14, 2015.

1. susan12369 macrumors 6502

I too always end the day with 40-50% left, I am having no battery issues.

2. Crazy Matt macrumors 6502

Crazy Matt

Oh shoot, got you messed up with th OP. Sorry.

3. susan12369 macrumors 6502

(someone was asking about whether having the battery as a complication would be affecting the battery drain, so I was stating that I do have the battery as a complication on my watch face, but have no battery issues)

----------

No prob. And I agree, it would be nice if using the workout didn't affect the battery drain so much, since that's one of the things I love about the watch. Hopefully at some point we'll have more control over the HR settings, which may help.

4. Crazy Matt macrumors 6502

Crazy Matt

The HR settings might help but I'm still on OS 1.0, I haven't done the update so it's reading HR every 10 minutes and have no battery issues except when using a workout, but even so it still gets me through the day fine.

5. thatsmyfish thread starter macrumors regular

For battery drain, do we know if notifications being enabled causes the watch to constantly search for new notifications, or is all the functionality on the phone end transmitting the notification.

6. NotSafeForWork macrumors regular

NotSafeForWork

As you and others have said, when the Watch first pairs with the iPhone it uses a lot more power - I agree that there are probably background housekeeping tasks going on to establish the relationship. I can only guess but I would speculate things like your contacts, email and calendar getting copied over to Watch take a battery hit. Music and photos are synced when on the charger only (I think).

My 0.02? Give it a few days to settle down - both the Watch and your usage - then decide. I was down to 10% remaining first couple of days and now I end around 45%.

Also ensure you have ended Workouts properly otherwise the HR monitor will be continuously running and that murders the battery.

7. dschulian macrumors regular

dschulian

Anyone here who don't get any more emails on the watch?
    When I change it from from "iPhone settings" to one of my email inboxes it starts synchronizing again but as soon as I switch to default it get stuck immediatey.
    I have two IMAP accounts and one in Outlook exchange accounts.

8. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Pairing fiasco:
    My first attempt to pair seemed to work using manual pairing but when I opened the AW app on my iPhone 6 to tweak icons and add apps to the watch, it wasn't there. There was only an option to pair an Apple Watch. Only after I clicked it did it say it was unpairing (and wiping) my existing watch. The second attempt I was able to use automatic pairing and now my watch shows up in the AW app. Not a good first out of box experience. I tried to explain this to the Apple support guy but he seemed tone deaf to my concern that two pairings on day one was one too many.

Battery life:
    After pairing with my Apple Watch yesterday, today my iPhone 6 got sucked all the way down to 20% by 2pm. This was very unusual, but easy enough to plug in and top it off again. Also the wifi isn't working right and it's only using cellular. Of more concern is the fact that my Apple Watch is at 34% at 2pm which doesn't bode well for lasting all day. This is a huge deal when the only charger sits on my nightstand almost 20 miles from here!

9. thatsmyfish thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, reset the Apple Watch. Strange oddity in the iPhone app before and after restart.

Going to run with the phone without battery monitoring until bedtime. Came off the cradle at 6:15pm.

Attached Files:

10. Crazy Matt macrumors 6502

Crazy Matt

Oh that's weird, it's like s ghost town!

11. susan12369 macrumors 6502

There was a thread last week or the week before about others having that issue with the app icons. I don't remember how they fixed it, since I wasn't having that problem I didn't pay too much attention, but you should be able to search and find it.

12. thatsmyfish thread starter macrumors regular

It resolved itself after a few hours.

So far so good. I'm checking it quite often and I'm getting a loss of about 4% per hour. I'm going to sleep with it tonight with wrist activation off and see where we stand in the morning. One change I did make was substantially reducing notifications from apps. I have no idea if the employee I spoke to was on to something.

13. paulgandersman macrumors regular

Update from my 2nd day: Battery life is MUCH better today (with pretty much the same usage). So I definitely think its a matter of breaking in the battery. I'm at almost 12 hours and I'm at 37%.

14. NotSafeForWork macrumors regular

NotSafeForWork

Mine settles to 2-3% an hour after a couple of days so this sounds more normal.

15. thatsmyfish thread starter macrumors regular

I went to bed at 84% and woke at 70% at nearly 7 hours, so that's a resting rate of just over 2% and a higher use rate of nearly 4%. So much better than yesterday.

16. Caffajake macrumors member

I think it's a combination of a 3rd party app and first day jitters. Mine has been off charger for an hour now and has only dropped 1%. Much better!

I was using the app MacID - I have a suspicion that was the culprit.

17. thatsmyfish thread starter macrumors regular

I've had the watch for nine days, minus a week with Apple, so it's something like my fourth first day, but it seems better. I am hoping the notifications being more limited will help. I'm also disabling wrist activation while at work due to so many false activations. I charged it to 100% this morning but I feel like it just hit 100% when I pulled it off the charger. So far standby is 1:46 with :46 of use and 93%, so that's consistent with 4% per hour if it wasn't topped off.

18. susan12369 macrumors 6502

Glad to hear it's a bit more normal now. Hope you can go back to enjoying your watch!

19. bliggs macrumors 6502

bliggs

I've had my SGS 3 days now. Having the same issue with the "Hey siri" as everyone else but not that big a deal to me. I am also having an issue with the watch usage not syncing with my phone. Anyone else have this problem? Again, not the big of a deal but I do kinda wish everything was working properly lol. Other than that, everything is great!! Have nit had any issues with battery life as others have reported. Getting 20-24 hours no problem.

20. thatsmyfish thread starter macrumors regular

That's more like it!

Attached Files:

21. paulgandersman macrumors regular

Day 3 update: battery life is amazing. Been off charger for almost 12 hours with tons of use and I'm at 61%. Break in period confirmed.

22. thatsmyfish thread starter macrumors regular

This is exactly what I was looking for. So please I treated myself to a non-Apple removed band combination. ;-)

One more question for the group. Does anyone else notice a bit of inconsistency with the haptic response from force touch? Sometimes I feel that I really have to push the screen to get feedback. Other times it seems easier, but if I push the corner of the screen it's harder to get a response. I haven't yet not gotten it to work but I do find having to use a bit of "elbow grease."

Attached Files: