iPhone X First day with an iPhone X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by William Payne, Jun 8, 2018.

1. William Payne macrumors 6502a

After 6 years of use my iPhone 5 decided this last week to just not be powerful enough to really do anything anymore. It just started to perform and behave really bad.

So off I went to the store and I am now an owner of a 64gb silver iphone X.

My observations.

* I was concerned about the lack of a home button. I should not have been. Within the first minute of using the phone it was as if I was a seasoned user. I just for whatever reason adjusted to it really fast.

* Visually the phone is beautiful, I love the polished stainless edging of the phone. Looks great in the wallet style case I have it in.

* I turned true tone off as I found it to make things very yellow but full disclosure on that. I noticed as I was in different environments that true tone is directly effected whether positively or negatively by the kelvin colour temperature of the lights in the room you are in.

* In the hand it is bigger then my old 5 but its nice for me. I have to stretch my thumb a bit but its a good in between for me as I don't like the plus sized phones.

So yeah I have adjusted just fine to the X and honestly a lot of peoples dislike of the phone when it came out just aren't bothering me.

I don't miss the home button at all and I haven't even had the phone a whole day yet.

2. mjschabow macrumors 68000

I agree with everything except for True Tone. I love True Tone.

3. William Payne thread starter macrumors 6502a

I like the idea, I just am finding it not reacting good to the lighting in my house. I will keep experimenting with it.

4. Closingracer macrumors 68040

Agree as well. I wish Apple would just turn off True Tone by default. ugly and always hated it on the iPad as well

Just put it back on again for this case and it just makes a ugly pink hue on the screen.

5. Ralfi macrumors 68020

Ralfi

A positive iPhone X thread? Refreshing.;)

Makes sense. You're a non-Plus & I presume a predominantly Portrait-mode iPhone user, so you'll love the many benefits the X brings.

6. William Payne thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am definitely not a power user.

7. Closingracer macrumors 68040

I can make one as well lol. Just didn't think it was warranted this late. <3 the phone though and as somebody who came back again to iOS because of battery life with my Note 8 and in general Android phones is horrible was my only selling point. As a heavy user Ill take 5 hours of Screen on time which my Note 8 could but with extreme doctoring.

8. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

The X is a good phone.

The only issue I have with it is the same issue I've had with the 6 to the 8 and that's the camera bump. Had that one issue been rectified I'd be buying one.

9. Ralfi macrumors 68020

Ralfi

Not that I was saying that. :D

I'm similar to yourself, but my X is also a work phone/tool, so I use it heavily through the day. I watch the odd video in landscape, but that doesn't mean I'm not a power user. It's a work-horse in Portrait mode.

IOS12 also looks to improve the user experience...eager for that in September.

10. William Payne thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry I understood completely what you meant. I just find that for me I am only in landscape when watching a video or taking a photo.

11. Closingracer macrumors 68040

Seriously tempted tp just download the public beta. Done it in the past on my daily driver with no major issues.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

True tone is nice to have, I think some conflate that with Night Shift mode. But it simply correcfs the white point on the display based on the lighting in the room. Especially on a larger display like the iPad, where the display is incredibly bright, its definitely useful when it adjusts with True Tone On.

13. martin2345uk macrumors 6502a

I will definitely be tempted by an X if the new X coming in 3 months is really £100-£200 cheaper as rumours keep saying. But also depending on how stripped back it is I might also be tempted by the 6.1’ LCD X-style phone... I think it’s gonna be an exciting keynote (“,)

14. forestinjersey macrumors member

forestinjersey

I’ve had mine for a week. I was super sceptical after all I’ve read but I don’t have any issues. It’s a great device and FaceID for me has been flawless.

15. Mr.Blacky macrumors 6502

Congrats, and I would leave true tone on. After your eyes adjusted, it looks so much nicer and natural. :)

16. Txguy82 macrumors regular

Txguy82

Nice upgrade OP!!! Damn 6 years with the 5

X is a top notch phone lol... I tried multiple times leaving Apple and selling the X for $750. I had multiple buyers and I could never pull the trigger. Enjoy the phone

17. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

I’m so ready to upgrade from my 8 plus to an X but I’m waiting until September for the upgrade might as well

18. Toonartist macrumors regular

I hated this too... initially! I don’t use a case at all and it felt odd that the phone didn’t lie down flat. However, I now realised that the camera bump stops the majority of the back of the phone making contact with tables etc, pivots on two points and as such, results in minimal marks on the back. Months of use and I have one very small mark.

My Sony Xperia z3 was flat on the back and was marked to hell very quickly so, I’ll live with the bump now!

19. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I never used a case with my 5 and each copy was turned in with the back just fine (it's been replaced three times in six years). Can't say much about the dings in the corners because it was my first iPhone and I had to adjust to it's thinness so it got dropped a few times.

My point though was that it laid flat and I did not scratch the back.

But since I don't use cases I never put my phone down on any surface unless I know it's clean or non-abrasive OR I have put something underneath the phone.

My phone sits in business card holders at work and home, on the arm of the couch at home and in specific places in my cars. It rides in my pocket when walking.

All of this I did with my 5 so, no scratch back.

It's great that the bump is preventing this for you, but I just took the stance of putting it down someplace safe from the beginning.

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

If it was earlier in the year in 2018, and someone was considering upgrade, I would certainly recommend it. But being its this late already into the quarter, and with 3 1/2 wants to go to the September keynote, I find many likely experience ‘buyers remorse’ if they purchased the latest iPhone now versus just waiting to see what Apple might have to offer, especially considering if their current iPhone is working perfectly normal.

21. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Agree we are almost to the next iPhone and I’ll regret it if I buy it now especially since I want the XL OLED iPhone

22. William Payne thread starter macrumors 6502a

My thing with iPhones is I am not a huge tech geek. I like technology but its not a must have in my life. I did think about waiting until september but with not really being a fan of the plus models and my 5 getting really bad I just bit the bullet.

Unless I feel a desire to upgrade just for upgrades sake I will probably have the X until it dies like I did with my 5. I got my 5 in 2012 when it was brand new and top of the range. It lasted 6 years and had one battery change. Sure my budget didn't allow me to just upgrade everytime a new phone came out but also I had no real reason to upgrade from a use case factor. I never felt limited by my phone.

I am not the guy who must have every new device or every new gadget. I think a big thing for me is technology changes so fast these days that I have sort of stopped caring about latest and greatest and more interested in this doing what I want them to do.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 9, 2018 ---
    What does a 6 year old used every day iPhone 5 look like. In a case since new.

Thanks for the years Iphone 5 I tried to keep you going as long as I could but like any tool eventually you just wear out.

75209282-B817-4B49-97DE-58C9DFC1E56C.jpeg B9AB1549-07B2-49AA-B373-A6DB460CA8E6.jpeg 646ABBA7-88E0-4EBA-99DD-5F17345D2C19.jpeg B8116526-80E4-43C1-8A49-D9896E5D982C.jpeg

23. mjschabow macrumors 68000

I have the best situation. I just upgraded, getting it at 50% off and was able to sell another phone which results in me only having $200 left to pay on it. So I’ll update to the XL version in September easily.

24. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

I agree with everything. Especially True Tone... it’s absolutely horrible, it just makes the screen look darker and yellowish.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 9, 2018 ---
    What about the camera bump bothers you? Is it just the aesthetic aspect? I’ve been using it since the 6 and you kinda just forget it’s there after a while. And it’s on the back of the phone which I rarely look at.

25. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I just prefer it to be flush. I didn't care for it with the 6/6+. Apple made it bigger with the 7/7+ and then even bigger after that.

It's just an aesthetic thing for me (as you mentioned). Since just about any phone will meet my needs I usually buy what pleases my eye. Upgrading for us (my wife and I) is infrequent so I always prefer something I know I am going to like for the entire time I have it.