First DisplayPort Dual-Link DVI Adapter in the wild?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rmjrumors, Dec 18, 2008.

1. rmjrumors macrumors newbie

I just got my crazy new DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter in the mail today, 2 months late. I must be one of the first.

It's a pretty crazy adapter. 5 feet long with a sizable box on the end, requiring power via a vestigial USB connector. It works fine visually on my 30 inch Cinema HD display, but now my mouse cursor is jumpy. Every few seconds as I drag my mouse, the cursor jumps 5-10 inches, making it hard and frustrating to use.

DisplayPort is cute, but it is not my friend.

2. dmcbride macrumors newbie

Glad they are finally showing up...

Interesting. Have you found a solution for this yet?

I put my order in yesterday for the DL DVI adapter as I am just not going to have the time to wait for a proper MDP to DP cable. I'll get it eventually and sell the Dual Link DVI off.

When I put the order in, it said 4-5 weeks. Now the store is saying 2-3 weeks. Odd...Makes sense though considering people are finally starting to receive the original orders.

I would assume not since I havent heard otherwise, but is there some sort of usable usb port on the adapter itself (or even an uplink to connect to the monitor)? I'm not crazy about losing a perfectly good usb port just for the sake of powering the adapter.

3. rmjrumors thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: Glad they are finally showing up...

Yes, the box has a USB port, so it does act as an extender for USB while powering itself.

4. jrsade macrumors member

Would you tell us what product it exactly is and where to get it?

5. rhyx macrumors 6502

Sounds like he got the Apple MDP to DL-DVI adapter. It can be found on http://store.apple.com for $99.