First Dreamweaver site... thoughts so far?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by ClassicFan, Nov 14, 2008.

1. ClassicFan macrumors member

ClassicFan

Hey everyone! Just recently I downloaded dreamweaver because I was sick of iWeb. I'm fairly new to dreamweaver but this is what I have so far of my redesigned portfolio. Only the main page is done so far so don't go clicking on the design image expecting it to load a page. Thanks!

http://www.nadelmandesign.com

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

So far, I take it the "disjointed look" is intentional, i.e. the cracks between the various sliced graphics. If so, I like it for the artwork and originality - it's refreshing to see some design thought - high compliments for that including the perfect background color. I know you're still working on the other pages so I'll reserve comment for that.

There are a few things worth mentioning which might help you:

The images on the top left and top right have a border set and change colors due to the link color assignment (i.e. active, visited, etc.) - if you intended that, make the colors work with the layout. If not, set border to 0 for those images.

I really like the iPod as a dripping popsickle (awesome job there if you created it) and the iCam - but the purpose of the donut being placed just above. Of course I get it in terms of color and palette, it's just what does a donut have to do with Apple stuff other than it is edible? Ah, maybe I need to loosen up a little, I dunno. All those images together make the page fanciful, which might be your intent. The copy that is there maybe should not mention specifically that you can make a "fake iPod", rather it should be more generic and mention your "flexibility in design styles from fanciful to elegant to industrial or whatever you, the client, prefers..." to bring it all together. Just an example and my own .02, use your own adjectives/words, but do you get my drift? Tell users what you design, broadly. In the future might help to include links to sites you've done, screenshots of them, etc. to promote your past work graphically.

Your site does not validate - 6 major errors for the HTML with numerous typos in attributes you can easily fix for better cross browser compatibility.

All in all, a very original looking home page with lots of potential - awesome effort, I golf clap to show my approval, heh. Well done, so far.

-jim

3. ClassicFan thread starter macrumors member

ClassicFan

Do you know how I can make it so that the links around the images don't show cause those lines are causing the cracks that are screwing up my layout?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Done very easily with CSS. Just add this to your stylesheet.

Code:
    a img { border: none; }

5. ClassicFan thread starter macrumors member

ClassicFan

It's ok... i fixed it. I just had to make it so that the border was 0 before I attached the link to the image. Also, do you guys think that I should have different design sections or just put it all on one page?

6. 7031 macrumors 6502

This is probably going to get said to death or whatever, but you really need to fix the gaps between the images.

Also, you need to set the background colour correctly, since the page has a rough end, where it goes to white.

7. ClassicFan thread starter macrumors member

ClassicFan

I did fix the gap... and the background is the same color as the images...

8. mat4020 macrumors member

This is what it looks like in firefox 3.0.4

Attached Files:

9. ClassicFan thread starter macrumors member

ClassicFan

Eh... i'm just gonna make a new layout. I don't like the one I made.