First ERROR on mac EVER!!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iLoveMyMBP, Apr 25, 2007.

1. iLoveMyMBP macrumors regular

iLoveMyMBP

Hey all,

...my system has been running vey very VERY sluggish lately....i ran disc utility and repaied permissions and i found an error (posted below) I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before and what can i do to prevent this from happening again....

thanks
    [​IMG]

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

This is completely normal and nothing to worry about

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Lol, mine repairs a hell of a lot more than that when I repair permissions... doesn't run sluggish, though, before or after.

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

The permissions error? Very minor and wouldn't affect the performance or stability of your Mac.

5. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

You might want to verify your disk while you're at it.

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The thing that was corrected in your screen shot is just a log file, not something that would affect your system's performance. That's the nature of most things found by permissions repair, actually, they are rarely things that would really get in the way of your system running well.

From the screen shot, it does appear that you are running some hacky/patchy things, you may want to get the system a little closer to a standard configuration before looking at OS problems.

7. The General macrumors 601

What's wrong with your GUI? It looks different from ours. :p

8. kostia macrumors regular

If that's OSXPlanet in the background (or something similar that puts a "live" picture on your desktop), that'd be the first thing to change. I'd bet your system's performance will get MUCH better after turning that off.

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I wouldn't be surprised if you got errors with those UI mods installed. What are they? It's a pretty good idea to keep things standard as then you get the full benefit of OS X's stability instead of worrying about which application caused what problem or conflict.

10. Trogloxene macrumors regular

I strongly agree. It's generally a good idea to avoid these things even though they look way cool.

-T

11. NJuul macrumors 6502

show us a screen shot of the activity monitor window (Applications->utilities->activity monitor). It will probably show why your system is running slowly.

12. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Hey OP - I have been noticing the same thing on my Mac lately and whenever the system is at its slowest and I repair permissions, I get the exact same error. Exactly the same. So you are not alone :) Now I just want a fix :p

13. RedDragon870503 macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

14. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Yeah, that error has a nasty tendency to make your Mac go nuclear. You better donate it to someone who knows how to fix it (me). Better safe than sorry!

15. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Run the Activity Monitor utility and look up if there are any processes that are using a large percentage of the CPU and/or memory. That'll tell you what's slowing things down.

16. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

The secure.log is the one that stores all the info about what happens whenever OSX asks you for your admin password, and who asks for it. If you have changing permissions there, and no where else, I'd keep an eyeball on that one, if i were you. See if you can work out WHAT is changing it, just to be sure you don't have a malicious process cleaning up after itself.

17. noaccess macrumors 6502

OK, first of all, that is not an error at all. Whenever I do a permissions repair, it finds a helluva lot more stuff.

Second, permissions repair is a maintenance procedure, and if it never found anything, there wouldn't be any point in doing it.

Third, about the only 3 things to worry about in Disk Utility are:
    • If the S.M.A.R.T. status at the bottom of the window reports anything other than 'Verified', or rarely, 'Not Supported' with regard to a hard disk.
    • If you click on 'Verify disk' and then it reports errors. Even in that case, it isn't that serious, unless you boot from your software disk and it can't repair the problem using 'Repair Disk'
    • If you boot from your software disk and accidentally click on Erase, and also accidentally confirm the action. Then you're really, really screwed. I mean really.

Maybe there are more, but since you seem to be new to mac, that's about everything you have odds of running into. Or everything my sleep-deprived mind can think of :eek:

18. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

As people have said, that's not an error as such..
    I just did repair permissions, and got messages as usual.

[​IMG]

What IS making your computer run slow is all that skinning and live desktop rubbish.

Remove any skinning software you've installed, and restore OS X back to how it was, as well as remove that live desktop program, and your computer will run much faster.

19. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

20. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

Shapeshifter doesn't slow OS X down. Perhaps for Macbook's Macmini's or G3/G4's, but it might be like 1% slower. The slow part that was told is only when launching an app, not normal use of the machine. I've been running it for 2 years and many other people I've known has used it longer than me and has never had these issues.

If anything common sense would tell you if something is heavily animated that will eat up a lot of Processing power.

21. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

thanks to you all

Thank you for your comments. I had problems with my mac and found this post on repairing permissions. My problem I am sure now is that I did download OS x planet. I have repaired permissions so I am hoping that will clear it all up.

22. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

that secure.log always seems to change permissions by itself.

23. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

No, it's Apple's own weekly log rotation script. Take a look at this block of code from the file /etc/weekly:

Code:
    cd /var/log
    for i in ftp.log lookupd.log lpr.log mail.log netinfo.log hwmond.log ipfw.log ppp.log [B][COLOR="Red"]secure.log[/COLOR][/B]; do
        if [ -f "${i}" ]; then
            printf %s " $i"
            if [ -x /usr/bin/gzip ]; then gzext=".gz"; else gzext=""; fi
            if [ -f "${i}.3${gzext}" ]; then mv -f "${i}.3${gzext}" "${i}.4${gzext}"; fi
            if [ -f "${i}.2${gzext}" ]; then mv -f "${i}.2${gzext}" "${i}.3${gzext}"; fi
            if [ -f "${i}.1${gzext}" ]; then mv -f "${i}.1${gzext}" "${i}.2${gzext}"; fi
            if [ -f "${i}.0${gzext}" ]; then mv -f "${i}.0${gzext}" "${i}.1${gzext}"; fi
            if [ -f "${i}" ]; then mv -f "${i}" "${i}.0" && if [ -x /usr/bin/gzip ]; then gzip -9 "${i}.0"; fi; fi
            touch "${i}" && [B][COLOR="Red"]chmod 640 "${i}"[/COLOR][/B] && chown root:admin "${i}"
        fi
    done
    Every week, secure.log gets changed to 640 permissions, which means owner read (4) + write (+ 2 = 6) and group read (4). But the permission utility thinks that secure.log should not have any group read permission.

This has been common over the years with OS X. In Panther, the file /var/log/wtmp kept having its permissions changed in the weekly script and that would show up every time you did a repair permissions. It's simply a case of Apple's left hand not knowing what the right hand's doing. The weekly maintenance people aren't communicating with the repair permissions people, so you get this discrepancy. It'll happen every week until one of them changes in a new update.

24. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I know! Apple even has a KB article on that log. I can't find it though.

25. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

oh yeah try this lol

whats wrong with my ACD library :\